Life at st. Georges


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Tamil Nadu » Chennai
October 29th 2004
Published: October 29th 2004
Edit Blog Post

The beachThe beachThe beach

This is the beach of mamallapuram where I went for my holiday.
Hi. Glad to hear you're okay in college and yes all the children are very well behaved, we have a couple of hyper ones but if you give them some stickers they usualy stay quiet. Its really much more fun then I thought it would be. One of the things we do is having the children individualy read to us from their story books. When we get the books out they get so excited and beg to be the first one to read (quite different from the reading we had to do in AS year).
The monsoon is well underway here and we've already had a couple of fanastic storms where the thunder is so loud it leaves a ringing in your ears. The roads are pretty much constantly flooded and you really do not want to step in any of the water as, what with there being no rubbish disposal, everything in just dumped in the the street. Also quite often people don't bother using toilets and just go in the street in plain view of everyone. Its from this that India gets its smell.
Last week we went to see the terminal at the cinema, which was so very
Pallavan rock carvingPallavan rock carvingPallavan rock carving

errm..not exactly sure which god/godess this is (any ideas poonam?) but its part of a huge rock face covered in carvings showing the "story of the ganges" its quite impressive especially considering it is over a thousand years old.
funny. This weekend we are going to see a tamil film with some of the senior girls. Next tues there are he interhouse culturals in st. georges. This is a bit like the esteddfod (how ever you spell it) but more fun. The houses compete in poetry, art and singing. I am in charge of sunflower house. I'm not sure how we'll do. The poetry is pretty awful. The singing is better as all indians love to sing and dance. The art is improving but most of them still believe that the aim is to get as much paint and glitter on your neighbours face as possible.
At last I have been able to find an internet cafe with a scanner so I have managed to put some of my holiday photos on here. Carly



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

CelebrationsCelebrations
Celebrations

Some locals celebrating the ganesh festival with the shore temple in the background
Taking ganesh to the beachTaking ganesh to the beach
Taking ganesh to the beach

Hindus carrying ganesh statue to the sea where they will put it in the water and swim and jump around it


7th November 2004

Aaawww, bless, I wish I'd spent more time in art putting paint and glitter on people's faces... Those photos are great - India looks so bright (november = grey over here)

Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0751s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb