A Street Art Lover's Wet Dream


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Valparaíso Region » Valparaíso
November 15th 2015
Published: December 13th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Street Art On Cerro ConcepcionStreet Art On Cerro ConcepcionStreet Art On Cerro Concepcion

About the only time the posterisation setting on my camera is useful.
”Valparaiso, how absurd you are…
You haven’t combed your hair,
You’ve never had time to get dressed,
Life has always surprised you.”


- Pablo Neruda

In the words of Chile’s Nobel Prize winning poet, Valparaiso is like the scruffy guy or girl who hasn’t got their life in order (and maybe doesn’t wash as often as he/she should) but who yet sweeps you away with their irresistable charm.
The most colourful and hippie city that I have perhaps visited, there is a photograph around every corner here in Valpo – it truly is a visual joy to walk around. In addition to the copious amounts of graffiti on its walls, the stray dogs and dog shit everywhere adds to Valpo’s messy vibe.
Its grittiness and dirtiness however gives it an edge – an edge that ensures that you are never completely comfortable walking through the streets.
In such an environment, it is perhaps inevitable that the place is full of creative types, street art, galleries and funky spaces.

Just a couple of hours on a bus away from Santiago, Valpo is pretty easy to get to – even if you’re still half-drunk from the night before.
The ride
Cityscape Looking Over At Cerro ConcepcionCityscape Looking Over At Cerro ConcepcionCityscape Looking Over At Cerro Concepcion

A neat summary of Valparaiso's colourful houses, perched on the hills above the bay.
there was beautifully scenic – vineyards, flowers, mountains.
Waiting for Teo and I at the hostel were Bianca and Nicola, who we met in Mendoza and hung out with in Santiago. The chorillana – a humongous portion of fries topped with fried egg, steak and onions – and craft beer that we had for dinner that night hit the spot in helping to cure our hangovers.
I could’ve done with a good night’s sleep too – something denied to me by a neighbourhood street party on a square just outside the hostel…and bedbugs! Again! The second time in a week, the third time in a year, and the nth time overall – this is getting ridiculous now…
Changing hostel to a place a couple of doors down, the new place was actually much nicer – the dorms were cleaner and more spacious, although there was a lot less common area here in which to hang out.

In terms of terrain, Valpo is hilly – like, really hilly. Some of the inclines are so steep that there are public funiculars dotted all over town to take you up them. With the hills however are a lot of viewing platforms affording
Street ArtStreet ArtStreet Art

All over the walls, and in some cases, all over the floor.
the most magnificent views across the bay and the city.
At the bottom of the hills is El Plan – a flat, run-down area of old warehouses set out in a grid pattern and which contains Valpo’s main square, Plaza Sotomayor. Running along El Plan is the port which established the city. There is no beach here – that is about twenty minutes up the coast in the relatively posh resort town of Vina del Mar.
Other than the great views from the hills, there isn’t too much in terms of sights – although the whole town is a sight in itself – but both of the main sights that we saw were disappointments.
La Sebastiana, Pablo Neruda’s Valpo residence, wasn’t anywhere as cool as his residence in Santiago. There weren’t nearly as many quirks or cool furniture – but it probably did have one of the best views in town.
The open air gallery was also a let-down – much of the spontaneous street art dotted all over the city were much more spectacular than what was on show at this gallery inaugurated in 1969 but with pieces dating from the early 90s, although it has perhaps been the
View From Cerro ArtilleriaView From Cerro ArtilleriaView From Cerro Artilleria

Looking over Valpo's port.
catalyst for much of the street art that followed and that can be seen today.

On our second night, Bianca boarded a bus back to Santiago while Nicola boarded one to La Serena – that left Teo and I to meet up with Wilco and Renate again, who we first met a couple of days back in Santiago, and Lisa, a German girl who was on one of our walking tours in Santiago who had also made her way to Valpo a couple of days after us.
Valpo has more than its fair share of arty, kooky, Amelie-like, 40s-style cafes and restaurants and indeed we ate at a couple of them. But tonight, we decided on somewhere a little more fancy with a view over Valpo’s night-time skyline. My fish was excellent – Teo’s and Wilco’s steaks were even better.
On our way back to the hostel, Teo and I stopped by at an awesome dive bar just two doors down from where we were staying. The torn posters, stained tables and chipped-paint walls were in keeping with the general setting of Valpo – even better, the place was packed with locals. Just a shame the wine didn’t quite
Cool Street ArtCool Street ArtCool Street Art

Maybe the coolest piece I saw in Valpo, on Cerro Concepcion.
match the scruffy setting. Or maybe it did?
It was also a shame that I couldn’t speak as much as I had wanted to, to the locals. Some of it was because of my limited Spanish, but some of it was due to the Chileans and their different words for things, and their slurry accent. About as messy as Valpo. Can’t understand them. Just as well there are more English speakers and signs here than there were in every other place I had visited in South America thus far.

We met up again with Lisa on our last night at another of Valpo’s arty cafes for a cheap but rather disappointing three course meal. There was to be no after-party though – Lisa needed some sleep and we had a 24-hour bus to San Pedro to catch that night.
A journey that I am sure will leave us as dirty and dishevelled as Valpo – but no less charming, of course.

Hasta luego,
Derek


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Funky CafeFunky Cafe
Funky Cafe

I forget the name of this funky cafe on Calle Castillo that is typical of the sort of cafes that exist here in Valpo.
Edificio de la Comandancia NavalEdificio de la Comandancia Naval
Edificio de la Comandancia Naval

The naval command building on the main square of Plaza Sotomayor.
View From Cerro CordilleraView From Cerro Cordillera
View From Cerro Cordillera

Overlooking the rusting roofs of Barrio El Puerto.
Museo a Cielo AbiertoMuseo a Cielo Abierto
Museo a Cielo Abierto

Piece from the open air museum that was created between 1969 and 1973, but with pieces dating from the early 90s.
Casa Verde LimonCasa Verde Limon
Casa Verde Limon

Funky hostel that we stayed in on our first night.
Bar El CanarioBar El Canario
Bar El Canario

Cool dive bar just a couple of doors down from our hostel.
Cerro ConcepcionCerro Concepcion
Cerro Concepcion

The steep and slightly posh area on Cerro Concepcion behind Paseo Atkinson.
Cerro Alegre By NightCerro Alegre By Night
Cerro Alegre By Night

Our favourite cafe/restaurant spot by night.
Cerro AlegreCerro Alegre
Cerro Alegre

Cobblestoned area of cafes and restaurants not far from our hostel - our favourite area to wine and dine.
CummingCumming
Cumming

The street our hostel was on was just as artfully decorated as any other in Valparaiso.
Hostal BellavistaHostal Bellavista
Hostal Bellavista

Hostal near the open air museum with a very well decorated staircase.
Paseo GuimeraPaseo Guimera
Paseo Guimera

Yet another colourfully decorated footpath near the open air museum.
Calle CummingCalle Cumming
Calle Cumming

Many of Valpo's streets are this steep or steeper. It all adds to the city's character.
Congreso NacionalCongreso Nacional
Congreso Nacional

Built by Pinochet on the site of one of his childhood homes, this building is controversial.
Ascensor Reina VictoriaAscensor Reina Victoria
Ascensor Reina Victoria

Just behind our hostel, this is one of many rattling old funiculars that dot the city, allowing residents and tourists alike to skip the steep climbs into the hill by foot.


21st December 2015
Street Art

Street Art
Beautiful
21st December 2015

Valparaiso
So many interesting towns to be found. Glad you explored this one.

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0494s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb