Gurudongmar - the snow desert with the holy lake


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Sikkim
May 19th 2007
Published: April 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The lake that never freezes - right across China - Gurudongmar - North Sikkim



Gurudongmar offered surrealistic views, with vast tracts of barren land on which wild yaks roamed, searching for frozen roots to pull out and chew.

Across the plain land was a barren set of mountains which nothing on them, except hidden bunkers in which hid Indian soldiers as they guarded against Chinese activities. Since the border land is quite unevenly divided across India and China, some of the bunkers were of Chinese soldiers watching into India!

The lake itself is at 14000 feet above sea level, and makes you breathless! Sikhs consider it very holy, and so do Buddhists. Its claim to fame is that there is a part of it which never freezes though by all scientific thinking it should.

You need military permission and a registered tour agency to get in - and its all very secretive somehow.

The lake itself and the barren beauty surrounding it is worth taking this trip for. Its right at the northern most tip of India through Sikkim, and extremely beautiful.




Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



15th January 2012

nice pics and nice place...beautiful n evergreen place..

Tot: 0.146s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0983s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb