Along the Road


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan
June 17th 2013
Published: June 17th 2013
Edit Blog Post

I will start today’s blog, with a brief statement. Imodium is my friend. Nothing more needed on that topic.

We left Agra this morning and headed for Rathambore National Park in Rajasthan. It was a long, but ‘interesting’ drive. Our first stop was an hour’s drive from Agra. There we toured the abandoned city. Another Mughal complex, similar in style to the other forts we have seen, but with more of a city feel.

In my opinion the more interesting part of our day, were the sights outside our window on the drive along the road. A kept my vision sighted out the side windows, because looking at where we were headed, or what was headed towards us was panic inducing. The roads varied between a 4 lane (2 in each direction) toll road with nicely pave surfaces and a road strewn with potholes barely wide enough for two cars to pass.

Indian roads are filled with the most interesting vehicles. There were a few late model autos, such as the one we were riding in, but primarily there were a gaggle of the most unusual sights I’ve ever seen on the road. We passed:

· Brightly
Abandoned CityAbandoned CityAbandoned City

Do you see the green pallor of my skin? That's how I felt anyway. GREEN!
painted trucks overloaded (by 3 feet or more) with their cargo.

· Sheep herders and their flocks walking down the toll road.

· Oxen and cows leisurely strolling along the middle, side or across the road. (With no regard to direction of traffic flow.)

· Camels towing carts carrying all sorts of goods (including baby sheep).

· Donkeys carrying baskets to be filled at market.

· Tuk-Tuks loaded with upwards of 20 people

· Small vehicles with people loaded inside, on back, on top and even on the outside of doors

· Small motorbikes with anywhere between 1-4 people per bike.

· Indian ‘Jaguars’ run on a small pump engine that the passengers must get off and push up hill.

· Bicycles dodging in and out of traffic.

· Pedestrians carrying assorted goods in baskets slug across their backs, balanced on their heads or dragging behind them.

· More litter than I have EVER seen.

· Homes and buildings made of, bricks, stucco, straw, corrugated metal, tarps and cow dung. (FYI – you can use cow dung as fuel to cook or heat your home and then use
Tuk-TukTuk-TukTuk-Tuk

Leo Drives
the ashes to ‘wash’ your dishes)

· Busy ‘small’ towns of 250,000-500,000 people.

· Women festooned in colorful sarees from head to feet, despite oppressive temperatures.



There were many other sights along the way, but I was feeling less than stellar and rested for much of the ride. Now I am tired and ready for bed. Tomorrow is an early to rise day as we head out on Safari at 6 AM.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Fleeting, bleating, speeding sheep.Fleeting, bleating, speeding sheep.
Fleeting, bleating, speeding sheep.

OKay , it was us going fast.


Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0552s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb