Udaipur and Jodhpur


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan
January 1st 2019
Published: January 1st 2019
Edit Blog Post

First, wishing everyone a very Happy New Year.



Right this second we have very fast internet - so I will upload some pics and try to get this posted.



India continues to amaze us. We spent Christmas in beautiful Udaipur, often called 'the romantic city' and we would agree! We stayed at a beautiful haveli that had a gorgeous view of the castle from its roof top restaurant. The city was very busy with tourists, as we learned that although Christmas is not celebrated, a two week holiday break (including schools), is from Dec 23rd to Jan 6th! But it was fun to see the Indians enjoying their own country. Although the city Palace was packed with people and at times made the narrow corridors abit claustrophobic.



We stumbled on a renaissance fair/carnival which included camel rides, dances, food booths, and artisan booths. Although, still alot of people it had such a festive and welcoming feel to it. We had a great time, walking around, sampling the food and chatting with so many people. A great way to celebrate boxing day!



And although we tried to resist, we did end up buying a couple of the miniature paintings that Udaipur is know for. The detail is beautiful!



A 4 hour drive north to Jodhpur, another busy large city in Rajasthan. Toured another beautiful fort and somehow managed to go shopping again... The packs are getting heavy 😊



Now in Bikaner, a less touristy town at the end of the desert, with Pakistan @ 100 miles away. It is dusty and shows a glimpse of a more traditional lifestyle. We are starting to get use to the camels meandering down the streets and the cows always having the right of way. And another fort in the center of town, well preserved.



New Years Eve was a happy hour beer and peanuts, as India does not have much of a wine or champagne industry. We were told of a party out in the desert, but we chose a quieter evening, to welcome the New Year.



Wishing everyone lots of love in the coming year, and hopefully a little more compassionate 2019!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 60, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Carvings at Jain temple in UdaipurCarvings at Jain temple in Udaipur
Carvings at Jain temple in Udaipur

we thought it was 2 elephants fighting, our guide said no, they are pulling apart a woman, how women sometimes were killed. Then he paused and said 'but we don't do that anymore'....


1st January 2019

HNY from the desert! Life is Good!
2nd January 2019

Keep on trekking
Not much to say except I like the name of Fat Cheeto for Trump. No work yet and who knows when??? The idiocy continues and as Fat Cheeto hates federal workers he put a freeze on a COLA. I say carry on and enjoy yourselves like you usually do. Grant

Tot: 0.757s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 37; qc: 150; dbt: 0.3029s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb