Weekend in Udaipur


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Udaipur
December 9th 2010
Published: December 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

It's December. Not that you'd notice in Mumbai. Same weather, same chaos.

I only have a week left here and things are flat chat. No time for blog entries. If I don't hurry up and do some Christmas shopping, the whole family might be getting bangles from Rajasthan.

These are pictures from the weekend, which Tom and I spent in the lake city of Udaipur. Sadly, we didn't stay at the Lake Palace, and you can't even eat there as a non-resident these days, but we have loads of stories to tell over the holidays...




Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Miniature paintingMiniature painting
Miniature painting

Part of a hunting scene, I think from the 1800s, hanging in the City Palace, Udaipur.
City Palace courtyardCity Palace courtyard
City Palace courtyard

There are several courtyards which are available for hire - for a princely sum of course.
Udaipur viewUdaipur view
Udaipur view

The old city seen from the palace. The city actually slopes downhill from the lake, with evocative old houses and doors lining the lanes.
Palace visitorsPalace visitors
Palace visitors

The city is touristy, of course, but we got into the vibe. Tom even had a tabla lesson, while I had a flute lesson.
Palace peacockPalace peacock
Palace peacock

Glass inlay work adorns many of the walls of the palace.
Scooter gardenScooter garden
Scooter garden

Some of the scooters really struggled with the steep streets. This one, wisely, had been retired.
Lake palaceLake palace
Lake palace

India's most photographed building after the Taj Mahal? The maharana's summer palace is now a hotel of course, run by Taj Hotels.
Boat tripBoat trip
Boat trip

Spent Sunday morning cruising around the lake. I thought we were going to a temple - Jag Mandir - but it turns out that is also a hotel these days!
RichardRichard
Richard

Actually we decided all squirrels here are called Vijay.
Jag MandirJag Mandir
Jag Mandir

Elephant statues on one of the islands in the lake. Tom feels elephants in India should have tail lights.
Tea with the princeTea with the prince
Tea with the prince

Having paid £3 for a cup of tea (usually about 3p!) in His Royal Highness's hotel, we were expecting a little more than a Twinnings tea bag.


Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.029s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb