The kindness of strangers


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Udaipur
March 18th 2008
Published: March 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The view from our balconyThe view from our balconyThe view from our balcony

Hotel Dream Heaven, Udaipur
The last ten days have practically made the whole trip worthwhile. From almost the moment we stepped off the train we were swept up by some of the nicest people I've ever met.

Within a couple of hours of arriving in Udaipur, Burt was getting his first lesson on a pair of Indian tabla drums. Krishna, his new instructor, seemed excited to have someone who truly wanted to learn -- a real musician, as opposed to the regular tourists just wanting a one-hour lesson. Afterwards he invited us to his house for lunch with his wife and son. Lunch was extended and Krishna took Burt with him to the market to buy mutton (goat) while I stayed and had my hands decorated with henna by his wife (Heena) and niece (Preeti). We were then treated to a massive dinner of mutton curry with chapati and bhati (Indian breads).

Though we've spent almost two weeks here, only about one day was spent sight-seeing. The rest have been filled with miniature painting classes, cooking classes, drumming lessons, but most of all, spending time with the fam.


Last weekend was Holi (AKA Festival of Colors), a two-day Hindu spring festival. Bonfires are lit the first night and the second day is spent throwing colored powder and water at people. Krishna said that things get a little out of hand in the city, so he invited us to go with him and his family to his in-law's house. They live in a small village about 30 kilometers away called Ghasa. We arrived late, were stuffed silly, and were then sent to bed.

When we woke up the next day Yasu (Krishna's son) was already mixing the colored water and loading squirt guns. We had to wait until after breakfast though to start running amok.

For the next couple of hours we ran around smearing color on strangers' faces and having them retaliate. After some time, everyone gathered in what I guess you could call the center of town. Speakers were pulled out, music started blaring, and everyone was dancing in the streets. It was straight out of a Bollywood movie! Burt and I got pulled into the center and covered in even more color. At one point we were both picked up on people's shoulders! Between the older men wanting to dance with me, and the young girls wanting
Burt's first lessonBurt's first lessonBurt's first lesson

Sri Krishna's Music Shop
to look at and talk to me, I think I got a little more attention than Burt.

After sufficient fun was had by all, we were called back to the house to wash up before lunch. That was a little difficult because people kept coming to the house to wish us a "Happy Holi", so every time we got our faces a tad clean, we were covered again.

The bathing facilities at the family home couldn't accommodate so many people with so much color so Krishna took us by motorcycle (it took two trips) to what he said was his friend's well. That turned out to be a cement trough that doubled as a drinking spot for livestock. So I'm sitting there scrubbing my toes with a cow sipping water across from me. We tried our best to get the color off, but we're both still slightly stained. Cleanish and tired, we returned to the house for home videos (one of their daughters just got married) and more fantastic food.

We came back to Udaipur Sunday morning and have been trying to figure out how to plan out the rest of our time here, which sadly is under two weeks now. It looks like we'll have a tight schedule, so I'm not sure how many more blogs I'll be doing before I get home.

Lots of love and Happy Holi!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Burt making dosaBurt making dosa
Burt making dosa

Cooking class at Hotel Krishna Niwas
ReflectionsReflections
Reflections

Trippy mirrored room in the City Palace
"What should I order?""What should I order?"
"What should I order?"

Burt's daily dilemma
Preparing for HoliPreparing for Holi
Preparing for Holi

Locals carrying straw for the Holi bonfires
All the colors of the rainbowAll the colors of the rainbow
All the colors of the rainbow

Holi colors being sold in Udaipur's spice market
Burt's scalpBurt's scalp
Burt's scalp

Yes, that's my "wedding" ring.. hehe


25th March 2008

so jealous
This is by far my favorite post. How much fun! I keep dropping hints to Andrew about wanting to go here. Actually, they're not hints. I keep saying "WHEN DO WE GET TO GO TO INDIA???" Heehee. Man, you should work for Lonely Planet. AWESOME henna, btw.
25th March 2008

Wow! That's a lot of paint. I had to turn down the color on my monitor. By the way, how do you keep meeting these people that take you in like family?
26th March 2008

universal holi-day
Austin is on the cutting edge. UT students just had their own holi celebration on campus. Not quite as colorful as you, though. 14 days and counting...
29th April 2008

So funny !
Hi, We're a Franco-English couple, who happen to meet Krishna and family just before you guys ! Our daugter keeps talking to us about Krishna, that's to say how much she loved him !!! And we found out about your blog looking for the address of Krishna. That's a nice blog by the way, take care !
9th May 2008

Thanks for the comment!
I have Krishna's address: 37 Lal Ghat Udaipur - 313 001 (RAJ.) INDIA His e-mail address is krishnamusic2001@yahoo.co.in We're desperately trying to get Krishna over to the States for some concerts/workshops/etc. It's proving to be a bit difficult though. But we're just so grateful to him and his family that we have to try! Thanks again for the comment and good luck on any future travels!
8th January 2010

Music..
.at Krishnas place..wow, have had lessons the past 4 days, sad to leave...and your blog was really interesting. Would like to have such experience as you.

Tot: 0.238s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 17; qc: 90; dbt: 0.1178s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb