Pushkar Camel Fair: Even the Camels Dance


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Pushkar
November 23rd 2012
Published: November 28th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Almost Like the RockettesAlmost Like the RockettesAlmost Like the Rockettes

This guy came out and moved his feet to the beat of the drums as he moved all around the arena. He was never off beat and used his front feet to do a little extra kick as he danced around the showring.
When we were not walking around the fairgrounds or hanging with the camel herders, we found ourselves in the stadium pushing and jockeying for a good spot to see the competitions. We witnessed the camel decorating contest, camel dancing, horse dancing, turbin tying and the moustache competition.

Of all the experiences, our favorite had to be the Camel Races. As a matter of course, there are no photos. The event seemed to only last a few seconds, but we have been laughing about it ever since. With little pomp or notice, the camels left the starting line only to find themselves in utter chaos. One camel cut through the middle of the course and ran to the finish line even though he did not even come close to covering the entire course. Another camel started running the race course, but quickly decided he had enough and shot out the side gate, never to be seen again. A third camel ran almost 3/4 of the track and ran off through a entrance. And of the camels who came across the finish line, all jockeys acted as if they were all the actual winners. One rider was fist pumping as if he had won, while in the meantime, his camel plowed into the crowd, leaving tourists flying out of the way!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Now He is Just Showing OffNow He is Just Showing Off
Now He is Just Showing Off

He was dancing on his hind legs and then balanced his front feet on his dance partner.
Having a Footloose MomentHaving a Footloose Moment
Having a Footloose Moment

After the camels danced, the horses entered the stadium and competed for best dancer. Some of the horses did tricks on the ground like this one.
Dancing on the StageDancing on the Stage
Dancing on the Stage

This horse had so much attitude, he brought his own band for his performance. The other horses used the house band provided by the fair, but when this guy rolled in, he wanted horns and drums to up the ante.
Try to Top This!Try to Top This!
Try to Top This!

As if dancing camels and horses were not entertainment enough, there was a rowdy crowd to witness the Moustache Competition. The contestants brought a lot of showmanship and swagger to the arena. Many of them arrived with their facial hair covered and/or rolled up, so they could really put on a show when it was their turn to present.
A Crowd FavoriteA Crowd Favorite
A Crowd Favorite

The eldest contestant in the Moustache Competition was a real crowd pleaser. He did not have the length or showmanship some of the others brought, but the crowd roared when he was introduced.


28th November 2012

what a hoot
What fun. The camel race sounds like an absolute riot and a bit dangerous for spectators! Loved the mustaches. By my calculations you will be departing Pushkar and finding new adventures. Nancy

Tot: 0.263s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 126; dbt: 0.1671s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb