Dreams do come true: Pushkar Camel Fair


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Pushkar
November 20th 2012
Published: November 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Tired Little YoungsterTired Little YoungsterTired Little Youngster

It is a long journey for some of the camel herds as Pushkar is the largest human-animal gathering on earth. This little guy was fighting to keep his eyes open to see the excitement. Eventually, fatigue took over and he was sound asleep on his mom's neck.
It took a little planning, a lot of traveling and some patience, but we have come across the finishline...we are in Pushkar! There was a little apprehension before we arrived that we may be making this journey for naught and that we would get off the train and find about three camels lined up.

Fear not...the Pushkar Camel Festival far exceeded my expectations within the first 15 minutes of arriving.

We left our hotel on the first morning with the goal of walking 10 to 12 miles in exploration, by the turn of the first corner we were face-to-face with a camel caravan heading to the fair. There were about 50 camels and five herders driving the herd. We determined there should be 7 herders, so we joined in the process and made sure our herd got to the fair grounds and got bedded down for the day. We turned a few heads in the process, but it was a blast.

When we reached the sand dune designated for the camels (dad and I call it "camelot"), my breath was actually taken away. There were thousands of camels...there were different ages of camels; different colors; some were branded, some were painted; some were sleeping and some were milling...

The scene was absolutely overwhelming and heart-racing. There is no disappointment at the Pushkar Camel Fair as dreams do come true in Pushkar.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

The Pushkar Co-OpThe Pushkar Co-Op
The Pushkar Co-Op

Dad inspects the flakes of ground food that has been transported to Pushkar for the vendors to purchase for their camel herds. We are pretty sure Siwa will opt for the grain and prairie hay served up in the Flint Hills.
Two Herders Attend to their LivestockTwo Herders Attend to their Livestock
Two Herders Attend to their Livestock

A very common scene in Pushkar...the herders watch over their herd until it is time to take them to water or to venture out for evening grazing in the foothills.
Negotiations on the Fair GroundsNegotiations on the Fair Grounds
Negotiations on the Fair Grounds

Please notice the resting herd and heated negotiations going on before the herds are taken to graze. Also...please don't miss the ferris wheel in the background...what a sight!


21st November 2012

alright Vals
You're not happy are you Vals?? I love the photo with the two men standing in front of their camels. Looks like that baby camel is smiling for you. Have fun. Nancy
21st November 2012

Congrats!
I'm so glad it was what you wanted.
21st November 2012

Awesome!
Dear little one, Thank you so much for including me in on your adventures. You are an amazing writer and I feel like I am there with you. My heart is so happy for you that you get to fulfill this dream of yours... tears welling up as you saw all of those camels for the first time. Thanks for the picture of the little camel - precious...just precious. Safe travels dear friend. Can't wait to hear more about your exciting journey!!
21st November 2012

Beautiful...
I'm so happy that you're fulfilling this dream! I might have to add this to my bucket list, too!
21st November 2012

Wow!
Absolutely amazing. Enjoy your dream come true. I'm sure you are!
21st November 2012

I want a picture or two from top of the Ferris Wheel at "Camelot"! Looks fascinating. Congratulations on arrival. Find a mate for Siwa!
21st November 2012

Awesome!
Valeri-I am so excited for you! I am sure you are in heaven with all those camels! Have a fantastic rest of your journey and safe travels.
24th November 2012

Good morning
I just got goosebumps and tears in my eyes reading this! I must be quite a sight.

Tot: 0.244s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 136; dbt: 0.164s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb