The Blue City


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jodhpur
August 9th 2010
Published: July 5th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Morning exercisesMorning exercisesMorning exercises

The Durag Villas Guesthouse has a great view onto the school playground.
Geo: 26.2816, 73.0232

We felt filthy and exhausted after the sleeper bus from Jaipur. Hair and bodily cleanliness was beyond repair. I was even considering changing into a sari, at least that would cover everything up! The Durag Niwas Guesthouse were very welcoming and kindly let us rest on their sofas when we appeared half alive at their doorstep at 5 in the morning. The rooms were beautiful. The hotel was full of French volunteering in the attached NGO teaching English! They lived up to their reputation as the friendliest of travellers!! The best thing about the Durag Niwas Guest House was the presence of women! I hadn't seen one doing any kind of work for a very long time and it was great to stay at a place where women are considered able beings.
The Merherengah Fort wasn't beautiful but it was impressive. For me, the audio guides spoilt the magic. Next time, I'd opt for the zip wire tour. There was a lot to explore and some fantastic views down onto the blue city below. The best views were ito be had n the private 'Audio Lounge' away from the crowds. We walked down from the fort into the blue streets. In the tight and crowded streets of Jodhpur, we were surrounded by the amazing sights, smells and spice of day to day life in Rajasthan. We ate lunch in a temple turned restaurant called Nirvand, with a view across to the Clock Tower. We watched children flying their kites from the rooftops and listened to the Muslim call to prayer. The Thali was a good choice. There was definitely a storm brewing, so we headed back to the guesthouse.
The best part of our stay in Jodhpur was a visit to Mandore Gardens, recommended by the man who eventually sold us an elephant patchwork. The gardens were a hidden gem, with a stunning collection of little temples, butterflies, birdsong and beautiful leaping monkies. It was lovely to escape the hustle and bustle.



Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Temple RestaurantTemple Restaurant
Temple Restaurant

A good meal. Strange it was deserted!
Disco room!Disco room!
Disco room!

Notice the Christmas baubles!
Together at the fortTogether at the fort
Together at the fort

Once Bill and his audio guide eventually caught up with me!
School girlsSchool girls
School girls

The school uniforms are immaculate!


Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 41; dbt: 0.042s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb