Bombay Cinema


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jodhpur
October 13th 2004
Published: October 13th 2004
Edit Blog Post

Forgot to write this in my rush the other day but we went to a Bombay cinema, which they call cinema halls over here to see a movie. Not Bollywood as the neither Shabana or I appreciate the finer arts of singing and dancing Indians expounding the virtues of love, love lost, family and probably Swiss mountain sides. We saw Aliens vs Predator and I thought it was pretty good, especially the last scene.

But the cinema did just about everything wrong. Firstly they started the film early, not by a couple of minutes but by about 20 minutes. Luckily we had arrived early got some popcorn and with nowhere to sit outside we ventured into to our seats.

Secondly they had allocated seating in a cinema equipped to hold around 500 even though there were only about 50 people there. And we all had to sit in the same area.

Thirdly there was someone on a mobile phone talking.

Fourthly they stopped the film for an intermission after about 1/2 an hour. The last time a film broke down when I was watching it (the first evening of Fellowship of the Ring), i got my money back and a free ticket. But they did this deliberately.

Lastly and I am not really complaining about this bit but it was unusual, they made everybody stand up whilst they played the Indian National Anthem before the film.

So my advice for anyone watching a film in India. Turn up early, have a mean red eyed stare for anyone using the phone, stand up and be quiet for the national anthem, get ready for the intermission and have a look around to see if you can see a quietly seething Londoner somewhere.



Advertisement



20th October 2004

Diversity
Pal-travel should make you more tolerant of diversity - about the mobile phones - Kick the guy- quite agree with that. With the rest- go with the flow - it can be fun if you want it to be;-)
28th October 2004

Diversity
I am all for diversity, the national anthem was different and acceptable, but stopping the film halfway through to get people to buy more popcorn is not diversity. Its annoying.
29th October 2004

intermissions
How I envy your cinema experience in india, Oh the sweet smell of the hotdog seller and the heady cry of "drinks and snacks are available at the foyer" just as the film is getting good. You are in denial of the good old days chunka mayhaps you need to purchase some rose tinted specs on your travels. From Andalucious Fremener (chairman of the Society for Reintroduction of Cinema Intermissions and Flock Wallpaper).

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0347s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb