Spotted! Leopards!


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jaipur
March 15th 2017
Published: March 26th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Jhalana ForestJhalana ForestJhalana Forest

A view from the hilltop fort
Wednesday was yet another glorious sunny day. I love this weather and I'm definitely not looking forward to returning to potentially grey skies and rain in England in just a days’ time. Making the most of the hours left, I started preparing my luggage for the journey home, then went back to the optician with Rajshri's younger brother Monty to collect my smart new specs. Monty had been such a great help to me during my stay, available at a moment's notice whenever I needed assistance and acting as interpreter and driver with such warmth and friendship.

In the afternoon, I was collected by my other former Facebook friends Girdhar and his son Yashoraj, both very keen photographers and wildlife lovers whom I'd met on my visit to Jaipur in 2016. Today was to be another journey of discovery in their affable company – Jhalana Forest.

The Jhalana area is an extensive nature reserve spread over 33 sq. km. east of Jaipur city, just half-an-hour’s drive from my hotel. It's said to hold more than a dozen leopards, as well as a wide variety of other wildlife and birds. Formerly a public recreational area, it has only recently become
Jhalana ForestJhalana ForestJhalana Forest

Another view from the hilltop fort, with part of the Jaipur suburbs in the far distance.
a designated wildlife reserve with limited and chargeable entry, but there are currently three prescribed routes in the forest with scope for more as demand increases.

I was forewarned that there was unlikely to be much chance of a leopard sighting in the increasing heat of this time of year. The best possibility might be at what Yashoraj referred to as 'high-ISO time' - a reference to sundown being the optimum time to see them and the need to adjust camera exposure settings to compensate for the consequent poor light.

This is another of the places to which Lajpal’s father-in-law, Dashrath, has privileged access. For unknown reasons, related perhaps to a rather confused leopard being seen a few days ago close to nearby houses and shops, the general public weren’t currently permitted to take their vehicles on ‘safaris’ inside the protected area. Girdhar and Yashoraj are well-known to the reserve's senior officers and we may not have needed special entry permission, but Dashrath had made arrangements through the Minister's office to guarantee access to the area for us all. He came along too, accompanied by the Minister’s personal manager for good measure.

It was still mid-afternoon and very hot when we arrived at the reserve's entry point. After enjoying masala chai served by one of the officers, we all piled into an official jeep complete with Ranger and another wildlife officer and off we went at a steady slow pace around the sandy and stony tracks inside the reserve.

We were extremely fortunate to spot our goal, a leopard, after only a short while – a male, concealed beneath bushes about a hundred metres away. At first reluctant to make an appearance, he eventually moved off, crouching low among long grass before sauntering off into the distance. It was a good (but far from great) sighting. It was still early on this hot afternoon and, in any case, the leopard is one of the most secretive of all wild cats, so difficult to see at the best of times.

Although we were delighted to see numerous Nilgai (Blue Bull) antelope - ideal food for leopards, a Mongoose or two and a Eurasian Sparrowhawk bathing in a waterhole, we drew a blank on the next few circuits as far as leopards were concerned. We took a break while the temperature subsided, stopping for tea and biscuits
Tea time in Jhalana ForestTea time in Jhalana ForestTea time in Jhalana Forest

Photographed, with my camera, by Girdhar.
on the flat roof of an ancient, deserted hilltop fort, complete with tables and chairs – very civilised.

Alerted by a mobile phone call from another authorised vehicle, we left the fort and drove as quickly as the terrain would allow to a place where a leopard had been spotted near a waterhole. Disappointingly, it had left by the time we arrived.

We continued driving slowly, scanning the trees and bushes all the while for any tell-tale signs. Then, receiving another phone tip-off, the driver shifted into top gear and, with us holding tight to the grab handles, he hurried along the winding sandy road, twisting and turning through gaps in trees.

At this new location, we were just in time for a very clear view of a female leopard relaxing on a small ridge, obscured only by a few wispy branches of nearby trees. We were not alone for this close view – there were several other keen photographers there, regulars with special permission, most with big cameras and even bigger lenses clicking like machine guns. I was introduced to a man I recognised as a person I’d followed on Facebook for some years. He’s one of the leading Indian leopard specialists, who regularly visits this reserve twice a day and has taken some remarkable photos as a result.

My friends Girdhar and Yashoraj are frequent visitors too – apart from knowing most of the leopards by name, Yashoraj has taken some truly great shots of them. When I met him last year, he was passionate about birdlife and could easily identify species, both on sight and by their calls too. This had now switched to an even greater passion for leopards and a close study of their behaviour, their habitat and even locations they frequent within the reserve.

Most of the leopards seen in the reserve have names - Yashoraj recognised this one immediately as ‘Katrina’. She remained unfazed by our presence for a good ten minutes or more, initially facing away from us, but then moving to watch us curiously before eventually slinking off over the ridge and into the bushes. What a fabulous sight and a remarkable end to my journey of discovery!

Elated at having had such a good sighting - and in relatively good light just before sunset too, we called it a day and returned to the reserve headquarters. There, we boarded Girdhar’s car and I was delighted to be invited to come to his home for a light meal before being dropped back at my hotel. It was a great pleasure to meet his wife and some of the children of his brother, who also lived in this large house in an important suburb of the city. We shared some interesting conversations about my favourite country and about our lives before parting with a promise to meet again soon. Much of my fondness for this country revolves around the warmth of its people, this lovely family being just one illustration of the genuine and unexpected hospitality I have experienced here throughout the years.

It’s always sad to leave friends. I have so many of them in Rajasthan after this, my 11th visit to India. I’ve phoned or messaged them of course to say farewell and to thank them for giving so freely of their time, but I repeat my gratitude here for public consumption. To all my friends in India, I say: by the grace of whichever of your many gods receives your devotions, we will surely meet again in this life. Until then everyone,
Common PigeonCommon PigeonCommon Pigeon

Photographed, using my camera, by Girdhar - who clearly has a sense of humour!
remember: keep smiling!



The panoramas at the top of this blog make a slideshow. There are more photos below and, if you double-click on them or on any of those within the text above, they will be enlarged.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Indian Grey MongooseIndian Grey Mongoose
Indian Grey Mongoose

Herpestes edwardsii
The male leopard walks off...The male leopard walks off...
The male leopard walks off...

...watched by nervous Indian Peafowl.
Eurasian SparrowhawkEurasian Sparrowhawk
Eurasian Sparrowhawk

♂ Accipter nisus
Jhalana ForestJhalana Forest
Jhalana Forest

Yashoraj and me posing. Photographed, again using my camera, by Girdhar.


26th March 2017

Spotted Leopards!
There's only one word for it little brother - Fantastic! David - the rear end of the grey-haired-nomads
27th March 2017

A fantastic end
If Holi was the colourful ending, the leopards of Jhalana were the fantastic one!
27th March 2017
Tea time in Jhalana Forest

Tea time
You are having a great time.
28th March 2017
Tea time in Jhalana Forest

Tea - on safari
It was somehow weird to stop for tea, complete with tables and chairs - and biscuits. One of the advantages of being with the man with a key to the deserted hilltop fort!
27th March 2017
Katrina

Amazing animals
A fantastic leopard
28th March 2017
Katrina

Katrina
Without my friends and guides I may never have spotted this leopard. It was a great opportunity.

Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0592s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb