Facebook Friends become friends


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jaipur
February 8th 2016
Published: February 24th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Bar-headed Geese in flightBar-headed Geese in flightBar-headed Geese in flight

Species Latin name: Anser indicus
Once upon a time a Prince asked a beautiful Princess to marry him.

The Princess replied, ‘No!’

And so the Prince lived happily ever after,

…and rode motorbikes, and went fishing and hunting and played golf,

…and dated women half his age and drank beer and whisky,

…and had tons of money in the bank,

…and even left the toilet seat up and broke wind whenever he wanted.

The end

Well, here I am back in Jaipur, the Pink City, capital of Rajasthan, at the end of an eventful three weeks in my all-time favourite country. The story of the Prince and Princess was printed on a place-mat in the dining room of my hotel here. I just thought I’d share it with you. Smile and the world smiles with you!



I was last here three weeks ago, having a whale of a time with friends old and new (‘Here I go again’ and A good time was had by all…). This time, I again met up for dinner with my dear friend Lajpal, his wife and their lovely but shy daughter and, although he was snowed under with work on his officers’ training course, Lajpal very kindly took me
Plum-headed Parakeet (male)Plum-headed Parakeet (male)Plum-headed Parakeet (male)

Psittacula cyanocephala
to the airport the next afternoon. It had been terrific to see him and his family once more - they're lovely, so welcoming and truly good friends.

Meantime, I had a unique opportunity to make two more new friends. Have you ever met up with people who’d previously only been 'Facebook Friends'? It’s an adventure into the unknown and, of course, one has to be a bit cautious about which Friends you choose to meet ’in the flesh’, so to speak.

Regular readers will know that I’m an Indiaphile and that, late in life, I’ve become an aspiring ‘birder’. I’d encountered several online Friends over the past year or two in a Facebook group devoted, somewhat logically, to birding in India. I'd admired their photographs of unfamiliar birds, 'Liked' them frequently and often commented favourably on them too. When they heard I was returning to India and, more specifically, coming to Jaipur, some had invited me to meet up - in their genuinely warm Indian fashion.

In the two previous blogs mentioned above, you’ll have read about my thoroughly enjoyable and very rewarding outings with one of them, Manish; it was great to do some real ‘untouristy’
Green Bee-eaterGreen Bee-eaterGreen Bee-eater

Merops orientalis
things with someone so friendly and knowledgeable. Two other members of that same group, very keen birders Girdhar and his son Yashoraj, hadn't been able to get away when I was first in Jaipur on this trip. Now, on this my last day, here they were in my hotel lobby, larger than life - or certainly much taller than I’d imagined anyway!

After exchanging words of welcome and memorable gifts, I was whisked away in Girdhar’s sparkling white 4x4, first to a place known only to locals and members of the elite rifle shooting fraternity. The OASES (Organized Archery, Shooting and Equestrian Sports) complex in the suburb of Jagatpura had been started under a previous government some eight or nine years ago with the intention of boosting Rajasthan’s heritage sports and nurturing budding talent. Here, in 18 hectares (almost 45 acres) of scrub forest with well-made roads, were an archery complex, the skeleton of an indoor polo arena and accommodation towers, all of them unused since that day and now in a rather sad state. An abandoned shooting club facility had been restored and now provided good trap and skeet shotgun ranges, all due to the efforts of Girdhar
Indian Robin (female)Indian Robin (female)Indian Robin (female)

Saxicoloides fulicatus
and an influential committee of which he’s a very important member. While he chaired a meeting, Yashoraj took me off on a birding jaunt around the complex.

Despite sounds of shotguns in the background, we found many interesting little birds, a Redstart, a Plum-headed Parakeet (I'd always wanted to see one of these and Yashoraj found it for me, as if by magic, just from its ‘tooi-tooi’ call), a Green Bee-eater, a Purple Sunbird, and an Indian Robin quite unlike its European cousin. Surprisingly, we found a large troop of Grey Langur monkeys that seemed to have made its home in one of the concrete structures. The highlight though was a sighting of three Chital (Spotted Deer) that were known to inhabit the complex but had seldom been witnessed by any of the shooting club’s members, yet alone photographed!

Meeting over, Girdhar drove us half an hour south-east - stopping off at McDonald’s to pick up a time-saving bite to eat on our way - towards Shivdaspura and ponds at Barkheda. Disappointingly, the ponds were largely non-existent, devoid of water. Fortunately, there were still some small areas of water remaining in fields beside nearby Chandlai Lake. There we
Chital in the OASES complexChital in the OASES complexChital in the OASES complex

Chital or Spotted Deer (Axis axis). A mature stag, immature stag and a doe.
saw numerous species of waterbird - a Snakebird (Darter or Anhinga), Avocets, Common Snipe, Pintail Snipe, Little Grebe, Common Teal, Northern Pintail, Northern Shoveler, Common Redshank, and a huge flock of Bar-headed Geese grazing on the short grass that remained.

Out on the lake’s expanse of water, tantalisingly distant, were flocks of Spoonbills and other waterbirds, but the day had flown by and it was already time to head back to the hotel to prepare for my departure by the evening Jet Airways’ flights to Mumbai and London.

Reluctantly, I bid farewell to my new-found friends, but not without an invitation to return for more, and longer, birding adventures with them next year. I certainly didn’t need any persuasion. They were so kind and had willingly given up their time for this elderly Englishman, previously only a Facebook acquaintance. It felt as if we'd known each other for a very long time. They were really good company and our common enjoyment of the environment, bird-watching and photography made it one of the most rewarding few hours of my entire three-week stay in Rajasthan. I can’t wait until we meet again!

So, that’s Rajasthan (again!) for another year.
Grey Langur Grey Langur Grey Langur

Also known as Hanuman Langur.
Looking back, I’ve made some wonderful new friends, spent quality time with them and with the many close friends I’ve known for years. I’ve visited places I probably wouldn’t have seen as a regular tourist, thanks to all of them - Smriti Van, Jawai, Mount Abu, Chandlai… to name but a few. And, never having travelled around India on my own before, I’ve had adventures that I couldn’t have dreamed of in places that my previous nine visits to this fascinating country hadn't taken me - Bikaner, Gajner, Khichan, Jaisalmer, Jorbeer, Ajmer, Pushkar... each of them different, every one of them photogenic, all of them exciting even.

What a great country this is!



Double click on the photographs to enlarge them and scroll down the page for more of them. The panorama at the top of this page is a slide-show too.


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 26


Advertisement

Pied AvocetsPied Avocets
Pied Avocets

Recurvirostra avosetta. In the UK, this bird is the emblem of the RSPB (Royal Society for Protection of Birds) and symbolises the bird protection movement in the UK more than any other species.
Common SnipeCommon Snipe
Common Snipe

Gallinago gallinago
Pin-tailed SnipePin-tailed Snipe
Pin-tailed Snipe

Gallinago stenura. There was a thought that this may have been a Jack Snipe (Lymnocryptes minimus)!
Southern CoucalSouthern Coucal
Southern Coucal

Centropus (sinensis) parroti
Common RedshankCommon Redshank
Common Redshank

Tringa totanus ...and Little Grebe out-of-focus in the background
Common RedshankCommon Redshank
Common Redshank

Tringa totanus
Bar-headed GeeseBar-headed Geese
Bar-headed Geese

Anser indicus
Bar-headed GeeseBar-headed Geese
Bar-headed Geese

Anser indicus
A memory of Smriti VanA memory of Smriti Van
A memory of Smriti Van

From 'Here I go again...'
A memory of JawaiA memory of Jawai
A memory of Jawai

From 'Rocks and mountains'
A memory of Sunset Point at Mt AbuA memory of Sunset Point at Mt Abu
A memory of Sunset Point at Mt Abu

From 'Rocks and mountains'


25th February 2016

Travel Blog friends
We've met several of the people who blog on Travel blog and the friendship began by reading their blogs and commenting. As a matter of fact our friend Brendan who we are currently traveling with is one of those people. Like minded interest make for great friends. Your photos as always exceptional. Maybe our paths will cross.
25th February 2016

It's a small world...
...I haven't yet met any TravelBloggers (other than the Grey Haired Nomads - but relatives don't count!), but who knows...? On my flight from London to Delhi last month, I sat next to a young man who had just moved to a neighbouring town (where I used to work) from a town a long distance away (where I lived for 21 years) and who had uncles who lived within a few houses of the one in which I was born! It really is a small world
25th February 2016
Bar-headed Geese in flight

Photography
Hi Mike, how do you take such wonderful pictures of birds in flight? What is the secret camera setting?!
25th February 2016
Bar-headed Geese in flight

There's no secret!
Any camera will do - you just need a fast shutter speed. Fast reactions help too - these geese were already making a run for it! If it helps, I used a 100-300mm telephoto lens at 300mm, 1/3200sec, f/5.6, ISO-400 for this shot. Keep smiling!
25th February 2016

Never a dull moment!
Hello Mike, More great stuff from delightful India - I particularly like the Northern Pintail, but you already know that! Great pictures as ever and an ever widening circle of friends. We did meet a young couple whilst out on a walk in the wilds of Spain. and they turned out to be ardent followers of our Travelblog! David and Janice .....greyhairednomads
25th February 2016

The Pintail was for you!
I think there was another one on a previous blog too!

Tot: 0.5s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 35; qc: 181; dbt: 0.2361s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.7mb