Jaipur-Day 2


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jaipur
February 8th 2016
Published: February 8th 2016
Edit Blog Post

I began the day by watching the Super Bowl halftime show and part of the second half before heading to breakfast! i then kept thinking all day that it was Sunday.

The sightseeing highlight today was a visit to Amber Fort-Palace, another World Heritage Unesco Sight. It was built in the 16th century and included the 12 apartments for the king's 12 wives and a beautiful room with the walls and ceilings covered with tiny intricately carved mirrors. The original idea behind using the mirrors was to reflect the colors in the rugs....which were changed to reflect the moods of the king.

We had some time to try our hand at bargaining in a large bazaar. I was intimidated at first but actually had fun playing the game. I bought a punjab after quite a bit of bargaining....loved when the salesman said I "broke his heart" by insisting on such a low price.

This evening we broke into groups of 5 for a home hosted dinner. My group went to home with a couple and their two teenage daughters. We had a very interesting discussion about arranged marriages. They had an arranged marriage and didn't meet until the actual wedding day. She was 25 and finished college and he was only a few years older. She had never gone on a date with any man before her wedding day. It was interesting to hear that their 18 year old daughter wants an arranged marriage. They explained the process that they will go through but not until their daughter has completed her schooling and has a job....probably when she is 25-27. The mother said that she has told her daughter that she can also decide to have a love marriage but then said she told her that they expected it would be with a Raj man. The while evening was filled with interesting conversation.....not to mention a fabulous meal!

Tomorrow we leave early to drive to a festival where we will be staying in a camp. I doubt there will be Internet!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 56; dbt: 0.071s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb