A good time was had by all...


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jaipur
January 21st 2016
Published: January 30th 2016
Edit Blog Post




By eight o’clock this morning, I was at New Gate, one of the ancient-looking arched entrances to ‘The Pink City’, Jaipur’s old town.

Everything was still asleep, the little signs of life just sweepers moving dust and rubbish from one place to another with their long swishing brooms, an occasional cycle-rickshaw with its pedalling driver cloaked in a blanket or a motorcyclist wearing a bandit mask against the cold. A few bedraggled street dogs wandered aimlessly in search of sustenance, uttering half-hearted barks at the approach of others.

It was cool and hazy, a lull before the rising sun brought heat to what would become crowded streets noisy with the constant sounding of horns and lawnmower-engined auto-rickshaws belching fumes into the already polluted air.

My new friend Manish arrived a few minutes later, quickly finding a suitable place to park his motorbike and a friendly stall-holder to guard his crash helmet for the next few hours. Cameras in hand, we set off to explore the mysteries of streets that would soon become bustling markets.

As our walk among sparsely-populated roads and alleys unfolded, we encountered young candidates for jobs in the armed forces being drilled under arches outside closed shops, women threading flowers to make ritual garlands, and discarded coconut husks from a previous day’s trading. Later, stall-holders wheeled their barrows into position and shops prepared their displays of papaya, deep red carrots and all manner of other fruit and vegetables.

Cyclists, cycle-rickshaws and camel carts carried loads that were far too big to be safe, and labourers with tools of their trade by their side waited in gangs near tea stalls hoping to be picked by contractors for a day’s work. Others said their morning puja (prayers) at one of many tumble-down shrines beneath the large trees.

Almost two hours into our walk, shops began to reveal their vast stocks of fabrics, sweets and spices, pots and pans. City dwellers took breakfast and hot, sweet tea.

Close to the Maharajah's personal entrance to the City Palace, where an historic iron canon pointed menacingly towards us and the guard read his morning newspaper, we stumbled upon a temple to Lord Krishna, up steep steps high above the shops. Actually, it was more than just a temple; it had views towards the City Palace and a Brahmin priest who ran an art gallery and small shop selling handicrafts. Manish, a resident of Jaipur for some 20 years hadn’t been here before.

By now, the city was warming up. Traffic was building, the sidewalks were ablaze with colourful goods and people. Nomadic tinkers plied their wares, cycle repairers repaired cycles, the homeless slept in the road, old men fed their goats and their grandchildren on the steps to their homes, and kids of all ages in smart uniforms made their way to school.

It was time for us to have a cup of chai and a shoeshine, and to say ‘au revoir’. Manish, a fellow photographer of all things flora, fauna and human, had been great company during these two days. We had a good time and will certainly be keeping in touch.

After returning to my hotel and taking a much-needed nap, I prepared to be collected by Lajpal for tonight’s party. He’d organised, at my request, for many of his relatives and friends to come for food and drinks. His brother-in-law Yogeshwar (Monty for short!) had made all the arrangements at a venue run by one of his friends.

It was originally intended to be
Rajshri and Lajpal Rajshri and Lajpal Rajshri and Lajpal

Perfect partners
a get-together with friends old and new, but by coincidence we were also able to celebrate yesterday’s 18th birthday of Lajpal's cousin Jaiwardhan (Yashu), a young man I’d last met with his brother and cousins nine years ago, and today’s birthday of Lajpal’s sister’s husband Dilip. That celebration took the customary form of candles being blown out on a cake to a sung chorus of ‘Happy Birthday To You...’, followed, less familiarly, by small pieces of said creamy, fruit-topped cake being forcibly fed to both birthday boys by everyone present!

This was followed late into the night by much (actually too much) whisky drinking and hilarious, hands-in-the-air, hip-wiggling dancing to very loud Indian music.

It was certainly a very memorable evening - and a good time was had by all.


Additional photos below
Photos: 63, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



31st January 2016

Old City
Fabulous photos of the old city! The colours of Jaipur are very unique and beautiful, especially in that early morning light.
31st January 2016

Old Jaipur
Yes, the old city does have a character all its own. I don't remember having been there so early in the morning before; it was good to see it in a different light.
1st February 2016

the Pink City
Hi Mike, Another great blog packed full of wonderful photos of that lovely and lively city and your very special Indian family. keep safe and keep smiling! David - the grey haired nomad.
1st February 2016

Thanks David. If you think those photos are good, just wait until you see those of the Demoiselle Cranes at Khichan - blog to come as soon as time and WiFi permit.
3rd February 2016
Blankets galore

India
Fantastic photo
3rd February 2016

Thanks a lot Mike
Thank you so much Mike for the lovely dinner on 21st Jan. We enjoyed ourselves immensely, and you were GREAT. It was an amazing night for all of us. We haven't been much together, so this occasion was a welcome treat. Thank you again for a pleasant evening and also million thanks for the lovely photographs.
4th February 2016

The pleasure was all mine!
Dilip, it was wonderful to see so many of my friends again. We did have a good time didn't we?! I have sent a few photos to Pintu but I have many more. I will send you some of you, Purnima and the boys when I return to the UK. Keep smiling!

Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0821s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb