Last night in Delhi and onto Jaipur


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jaipur
January 8th 2015
Published: January 12th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Well, we arose to a very foggy and cold (8C) Delhi in the morning. We had to be ready to go by 8 or so as we had a 7 hour bus ride to Jaipur. The highways here are insane. Definitely not like at home. There are bumps and cracks and pieces missing everywhere. It was like riding the wooden roller coaster at the PNE. All highways here seem like that.....more on that in later blogs.

While in the city we thought it was strange that people just went here there and everywhere when they felt like it. They do the same thing on the highways. Leaving Delhi seemed to go on forever. Once out I tried to sleep some on the bus...but those bumped had other plans form me.

We arrived in Jaipur around 6pm. Checked into a pretty nice hotel (though no wifi like most places here) and then went to one of the best movie theatres in the state; the Raj Mandir. We saw P.K. It is the biggest movie in India right now. It's about an alien that comes to earth, gets stranded and then tries to get home. Very hilarious and meaningful even though I only understood the 15 English words in the entire movie. There was the big Bollywood song and dance number by some of the newest and best stars...Aamir Khan, Anushka Sharma and Sanjay Dutt. The theater itself was amazing. Really like nothing we have in North America...reserved seating, people on cell phones throughout the movie and people cheering and applauding throughout. It even had an intermission.

After the movie we walked around the area and had dinner at a really good vegetarian restaurant near the theater. I never really was a fan of vegetarian food but they sure do make some good stuff over here......though I still need my beef!! Walking around the streets is quite a test of ingenuity and patients all rolled into one. You can tnk the is nothing coming your way and then all of a sudden there is a barrage of cars, tuk tuks, cows and camels coming at you. Throw some people and food carts in thre as well and your have India.

There seems to be a different feel and kind of lifestyle at night as well. A lot more cooked food vendors come out while during the day the are more fruits, veggie and cookie carts. You will also find the carts in the street that have a wok of cooking oil going and they will have samosas and pejorative to get too. Very very different from home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0368s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb