DAY 4: Jaipur, Pink Sun Guest House


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jaipur
February 12th 2011
Published: February 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Woke up the next day and arranged a rickshaw driver to take us around the city (quite a common thing to do) for about 5 pounds between us.

All he did was try to scam us all day- making us pay for petrol (which we eventually took out of final total) and telling us jokes hoping that we would buy him a beer! We saw the local sights; City Palace, Amber Fort etc. We stopped off at a city tower where this really old man took a shine to Laura and kept telling her she was old and as I was 2 years younger, I was ‘2 years baby’. He insisted on chaperoning Laura all the way down the stairs even though he was half her size in weight and build. He offered us two cups of chai when we got to the bottom; English tea but with a bit of ginger in it. We stopped for lunch we saw a woman de-nitting her daughter’s hair outside the restaurant window. Alongside her was an elephant which was clearly going through a an 80s revival phase or getting itself ready for a Full Moon party- multicolored neon eye shadow and UV painted legs and body. e saw a lot of homeless people today- people literally living on street corners with naked kids running around.

We also stopped off at a textile place and saw how they block print. We ended up spending some money too- I bought 4 pillowcases and a throw for a chair I don’t even have yet! Laura got a nice runner for an imaginary dinner table…it was only when we’d left we thought we had been ripped off a bit- ah well!!

That night we went to our hotel restaurant to get some tea, but unfortunately there was no Indian food on the menu- they did have ‘Italian, Chinese and Continental though?’- so we settled for a bowl full of noodles instead. By this point we have been going between cities by bus only and quite liking it! Really comfortable, on time, mini 10 minute break half way through and taking loads of pictures out of the windows.

We’ve been bitten to death; we both have massive purple circles on the bottoms of our legs where they are now turning into bruises- last count I was on 25. We have both been quite lucky so far- no Delhi belly…but we think that’s down to the fact that we’re addicted to garlic naans and hand sanitiser!



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

In textile factoryIn textile factory
In textile factory

Showed us how they do block printing- we then spent 30 pound on cushion covers and throws for furniture we don't have!


Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0464s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb