Day 29 - local train and off for luxury camping


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Bassi
October 12th 2008
Published: October 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Into the ruins 120 secs
2: Shouting 47 secs
3: Nice view 23 secs
Was very hard to get up this morning but managed. Local train was better than had been described. No chickens or goats in our carriage. Sarah and myself ended up in a carriage down from the rest where a guy kindly gave up his seat and we sat in the compartment with him and his family. Train was of course 30m late.

A woman who looked like the mother in law was asleep along half of the seats, which seemed unfair as people were sitting in the doorway. One kid, a young boy, was left a tiny spot at her feet. His sister, a bit older was opposite (same side as us) with their dad next (who had insisted we sit there). Their mother was up in the luggage rack above the seats having a nap. We had our Hide N Seek - best biscuits - and offered them one but they did not take any. Then when the mother in law sat up she got snacks out her bag and offered us some. We just took a couple each but he shook her head, got some newspaper and tipped loads in. Were some kernel like things, spicy corn type bits, and some crisps - really good - had to wrap some up for later. Then she got out monkey nuts and did the same again. We offered our biscuits again and this time the kids accepted.

They also had a listen to my ipod after a guy diagonally opposite had asked to. Was really nice. It’s amazing how such little gestures can mean so much, from making room for us to sit, to sharing the family train snacks. And also how much can be said through body language and facial expressions alone. Makes me think of the Kathakali dancing.

We took some pictures with the family before getting off. Really glad we sat there. Not only for this meeting but also the compartment was full so when Sanjay tried to sit with us the guy in that seat who was standing at that point in time told him no. He did come through and insist we all push down so he could perch on the edge for a while which was a bit awkward but luckily he didn’t stay too long.

Got jeeps to the camp ground, which is beautiful and the journey was enjoyable too,
CanoeingCanoeingCanoeing

Also view up to fort ruins
nice and breezy and fun waving at all the kids in villages along the way. The ‘tents’ are more like small marquees and have proper beds, shower, and western toilet. Definitely luxury camping. Just a stand alone fan in the corner though so hopefully it wont get too hot. Had a nice lunch then the day was ours.

There is a platform under a tree with some Indian style beds - frame with woven fabric - so Sarah, Antje, and Susan all decided to have naps there, as did Sanjay. The rest sat out on the steps/porch in front of our tents - 2 per tent and not all in one big tent like we thought it would be. I sat out front but in the sun and was writing for a bit. Then Sanjay came down and commented to all the others he was going to sleep and would see them at dinner, but stopped by me and sat on the steps. Said our fan works and started going on about how he could use our room, that it was his, then that we are friends/neighbours (he is next to us again) and that they share. I said not beds. He said there were two and Sarah was using the other one up under the tree so one was free. Also said floor space, to which I replied that we might step on him. Then he said he just needs half a bed. Awkward. Said I thought he was joking, he said no. Jokingly said okay but would there would be a fee, to be decided later. He said he would pay us in vodka (always on about vodka) then walked up but went next door to his own.

Fearing that he might come back out, I left to go where Sarah was and apologised if she found Sanjay in her bed. She needed the toilet but just used Atije’s in case he had come out and gone in our room. Felt I was disturbing sleeping people so went back to the tent and sat outside some more. Wanted a pillow so had to venture in - he was not there thankfully. Guess he was joking after all. So, I was able to go back out with my pillow and chill out.

Enjoyed sitting in the sun then had a cold drink with Sarah when she came back from resting. After this we decided to have a walk up to the old abandoned fort. Had to cross a river then walk up past some temple like things where some children were resting - not sure if they lived there. Then about half way up was a canopied area with lots of locals who appeared to be working on the pathway. They just sort of looked at us and we squeezed past. Then as we headed on they shouted and gestured waving their arms as if maybe to come back down. We went on and walked up the rocky overgrown path until we got to where it was blocked off with sticks. Weren’t sure why so continued by climbing a wall then walking through some really long grass and hoping there weren’t snakes. There were some ruins that had a orange paint on them, maybe used as temples, not sure. Made some video clips as we went along, almost Blair Witch style which wont bother posting - quite silly. There was a man who came up after us and was shouting a lot. He seemed annoyed. Hoped it wasn’t because of us and ran on a little
CuteCuteCute

Met them on the way up to the old fort ruins
into the grass. Then some people appeared from the other direction with bags and a pot. All quite strange. Suspect they are doing secret building work. We tried to follow the people back down the way we came but they were too quick. When we got tot the area with canopy everyone was gone - completely deserted, including the goats! Really freaky. We continued on back, stopping at the river to wash our feet and shoes before getting back to camp and resting for a while before dinner.

Had some pre-dinner drinks and snacks and they brought popadoms and fresh roasted peanuts, which they grow on the property and were lovely and warm. Dinner was quite late so after we went straight back to the tent and locked it up since I knew how to do as it was the same as the beer tents. Had found out from Peter and Susan that Sanjay was originally in number 2 next to them but moved down by us. We were first back but the others followed and Sanjay did stop and ask if we had locked up already and if we knew how. Then when I was showering he came
Old man does washingOld man does washingOld man does washing

The river we crossed going to/from the fort ruins and where we stopped to wash our shoes
and asked to borrow the table from outside. Think we managed to get across that we were not going to be joining him. The shower was nice and room temperature is pleasant so should manage a good sleep.

General thoughts for today








Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Sarah puts on her shoes of deathSarah puts on her shoes of death
Sarah puts on her shoes of death

The smell from these got worse and worse


Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0509s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb