On the Ajmer Shatabdi Express to Pushkar


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Ajmer
November 19th 2012
Published: November 20th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Up early to catch the 6 am Ajmer Shatabdi Express and one step closer to getting to the Pushkar Camel Fair. Despite our meticulous planning and preparation, our morning started off rocky.

We raced around the train station and ticket offices like an episode of The Amazing Race only to discover what we suspected all along...we were the latest targets of an Indian scam. In the Delhi train station, the thing to know is: never show your ticket to anyone, trust no one, talk to no one, there is no tourist tax, and there is no need for a boarding pass.

From worrying we were not going to get on our train to actually sitting in the seats, we had quite a trying morning...all before the sun came up!

The train ride was almost 7 hours and a bit like being on a plane in that we were served tea and snacks and given newspapers. We were in first class ($18/person) which made all the difference in the world for comfort and amentities. However, even the restrooms in first class were simply open pipes that spread the waste as the train rolled down the tracks!

We traveled through agricultural communities, saw harvest crews and finally reached the desert in Ajmer. Without issue, we left the train station with our driver and drove through the chaos of Ajmer. We passed the sacred lakes and passed through the mountains to Pushkar...also known to us as the Camel Promise Land...


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



20th November 2012

Yikes! Glad you made it on the train and to your destination safely. I can't wait to see camel photos...Sounds like you are in for an adventure and a wonderful time! Miss you and wish you had been here Saturday. We needed your good juju. I won't lie - I cried Saturday. And I spent most of Sunday in a really bad mood. But, we shall prevail. We always do. GO CATS!!
21st November 2012

To my sweet little cousin. ...
I am so sorry about Saturday's disappointment. I don't blame you for crying. I too was pretty sad. I wish I were there to comfort you and the Wildcat Nation. We will be okay and we will prevail. Keep your chin up and take care.
20th November 2012

Just found out about this blog and had to check it out! Thinking of you and wishing you safe travels, my friend!
21st November 2012

Great problem solving
I am in awe of your problem-solving abilities in a foreign land. I would be so intimidated but you guys just stay the course and take the challenges in stride. You are great adventurers. Cute cottage you are staying in!

Tot: 0.493s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 15; qc: 125; dbt: 0.34s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.3mb