Chandigarh


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Punjab
June 11th 2018
Published: June 14th 2018
Edit Blog Post

After a day in Delhi recovering from the long flights from the U.S., Peggy and I took a five-hour train to Chandigarh in a fairly comfortable air conditioned car. We spent two nights at the Red Fox Hotel to break up the journey before flying to Kullu, since we'd read that Chandigarh is India's first planned city, and according to India City Walks, is "a benchmark of modernisation, and is a rich, prosperous and green city, rightly called 'the city beautiful'!"

Of course, everything is a matter of context. We were, in fact, able to (somewhat) walk safely along sidewalks and berms to Sukhna Lake and to Nek Chand's Rock Garden, and everyone surprisingly stopped at the red lights. The lake was more or less a muddy reservoir with pleasant gravel trails alongside, but the rock garden creation was pretty impressive, though complete with hordes of domestic tourists on whirlwind journeys around India in tourist vans. I'm grateful to be able to experience travel differently. There is still plenty of blight and smell and rubbish, so it's hardly like being beamed into a small cosmopolitan European city, but it is worth a couple of days as a transit stopover.

Somebody has big plans for Chandigarh International Airport. A six-lane road leads to it and the interior is vast, clean, and air conditioned. Our prop plane to Kullu was on time and well worth it to avoid a 7-10 hour death bus.

There are a few more photos far below.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Hauling WaterHauling Water
Hauling Water

Boy rupturing a water line to fill a bucket.
Golf courseGolf course
Golf course

It looks nice, but it was 108F without the heat index.


15th June 2018
Rock Garden Statues

Very cool
Love this garden
13th August 2019

Very Good Blog
Very Good Blog. Nice reading it

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb