Punjab: I Don't Think We Are in India Anymore!


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Punjab » Amritsar
December 4th 2012
Published: December 6th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Making ChapatiMaking ChapatiMaking Chapati

Kyle learned the age old art of making chapati from scratch and provided much entertainment for everyone else in the kitchen!
After hopping on a few prop planes for short flights, we touched down in the Punjab. We were still in India, but it did not feel like India. We were in a valley near the Himilayan foothills and everything seemed more Third World.

Due to the proximity to Pakistan, there was a large military presence and more security checkpoints. (Due to a recent hanging of a Pakistani terrrorist in India, there has been hightened security throughout India, especially in the hotels.)

The people of the Punjab look very different from the Indians in Rajasthan...taller, broader, different skin color, beards and Sikh turbans.

We stayed in Amritsar and noticed less animals in the streets and much less trash. We struggled with the air quality, despite the cleaner environment and surrounding agricultural communities. From our hotel, we were shocked at the haze (or smog) that seemed to hang in the air.

We visited the Golden Temple (holy site of the Sikh religion), the Martyr Memorial and drove to the border wtih Pakistan. We were all shockingly surprised how much we enjoyed this region of India...even though it did not feel like India!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Enough to Feed an ArmyEnough to Feed an Army
Enough to Feed an Army

Kyle helped to make dal (black lentils) for the community kitchen.
Soups Up!Soups Up!
Soups Up!

Dad stirring a huge pot of peas in the community kitchen at the Golden Temple. The community kitchen feeds 30,000 to 40,000 people everyday and is run completely by volunteers at the Sikh temple. It is open to anyone who wants to eat--no matter class or socio-economic status. The belief, dating back to the 1500's, is that people cannot learn and comprehend the lessons taught in the Sikh temple if they are hungry. But, you do not have to be of the Sikh religion to partake in the meals.
Golden TempleGolden Temple
Golden Temple

All visitors must cover their heads (orange is a sacred color to Sikhs) and everyone must go barefoot. (Yes, barefoot...no socks, no shoes...not exactly what I wanted to do, but...) And our pantlegs are Gethro style because you walk through troughs of water as part of the ritual to enter different parts of the temple.
The Communal Dining Hall at the Golden TempleThe Communal Dining Hall at the Golden Temple
The Communal Dining Hall at the Golden Temple

Everyone sits together and eats the same meal. There is no segregation of gender or class.
Photo Shoot!Photo Shoot!
Photo Shoot!

This volunteer asked to have his photo taken with us at the Golden Temple. He insisted that a photo be taken with his cell phone.
The Golden Temple at NightThe Golden Temple at Night
The Golden Temple at Night

Revered as one of the holiest sites in the Sikh religion, the Golden Temple is a fascinating site to behold both at night and during the day. We attended the night ceremony which marks when the holy scriptures are moved to their evening resting place. The music, the flowers, the smell of rose oil, the chanting and the cleansing rituals were well worth the visit.
Bullet Holes From Martyrs' MemorialBullet Holes From Martyrs' Memorial
Bullet Holes From Martyrs' Memorial

Dad at Jallianwala Bagh, a memorial for the many Indians killed by a British General in 1919. The Indians were attending a peaceful meeting during the freedom movement when the British Army opened fire. Some of the bullet holes remain in the surrounding walls.


6th December 2012

Neat
Love your do rags! What an interesting place. Did you go to the border and watch the changing of the guards? We heard from fellow travelers that this is really something to see. I suppose you are winging your way to the States by now. Get ready for cold weather by Monday! Nancy

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 28; dbt: 0.048s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb