Pondicherry


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Pondicherry
December 17th 2016
Published: December 18th 2016
Edit Blog Post

One last stone monument visit in Mahabalipuram straight after breakfast to the Tiger Rock. It's a unfinished shrine with carved tiger heads around the portal. It was also our first auto-rickshaw ride.

We had a last swim then took a taxi to Pondicherry. The road down was good with light traffic. Disheartened by the queue at a bank we passed and the two ATM's I saw were shut. A potential problem looming as our funds we got in Chennai were dwindling away.

We passed significant number of what looked like newly developed shrimp farms along the way and along the river banks rice farming was in full swing.

Our taxi located Hotel Coromandel which is a european heritage house with about 6 rooms. Our first night unfortunately we had to sleep in a small downstairs room with the noisy kitchen outside the interior window but got upgraded for the second night to a much larger room with a balcony/exterior landing.

Money was still a priority and we were directed to an ATM that was working around the corner. Of the three machines in the front area of the bank two were shut with 'out of cash' notices. After a short queue wait and a few attempts we came away with 2 notes, the maximum we were allowed. Changing these big notes isn't causing to much headache and $40 can go a long way.

We did a foot circuit of the town through the French Quarter to the beach and then back through the Tamil Quarter. Called in to the Sri Aurobindo Ashram. Founded by an interesting man. You can read more here.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sri_Aurobindo


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

XmasXmas
Xmas

A man moved his bike from in front of the shop so we could get this shot


19th December 2016
Our first banana leaf meal

Banana Leaf Meal
Oh Wow!!! That banana meals looks yum :)
19th December 2016
Our first banana leaf meal

Banana leaf
We had Gobi Masala and a Paneer of some sort. Very nice and not too spicy!
19th December 2016
Xmas

Father Xmas
Now Shelley do you really need more Father Xmas decorations?? Mind you they could look quite good along the path to your front door ;) Loving the blog.

Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 41; dbt: 0.054s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb