sores, sisterhood and more


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Pondicherry
August 9th 2011
Published: August 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

so im quite behind in updating. sorry.
so much is happening and i am quite limited in my internet access so its difficult to really keep you all abreast of the developments and magnificent experiences to which i have been privy.
ill start with a caste integration day which was arranged by this incredible organisation called Village Action Group. they have set up more than 200 women's self help groups in village areas, often really remote places offering a variety of services and programs including microfinance and training and all these amazing things. so inspired. so basically on saturday one women's group hosted a function to meet with a women's group from a different caste. it was mindblowingly emotional for me. to see the sisterhood that belies any stupid division, however ingrained it might have been in their tradition. the women shared their pains and their joys with one another. we ate off lotus leaves, they discussed village issues and debated ethics. the one group was well established and had been operating for several years. they offered many supportive, kind suggestions to the more newly formed group, proud of their achievements and progress. i had my hair plaited and adorned with flowers. we saw their beautiful lake/swamp that is full of lotus flowers (the centres of which you can actually eat??? - not hte tastiest thing ive ever eaten but it was definitely interesting).
my beautiful friend and i went to a tamil village function to celebrate a beautiful fourteen year old girl's first menstruation. i was invited by my beautiful friend who is a teacher at the kindergarten in which i am volunteering. it was her cousin's event. we received the royal treatment. it was sensational. i can't begin to describe what a profound effect this evening had on me. being so warmly received and taken care of by my friend's family and just seeing the sense of community that is so strong and so similar to the kind of communal closeness in any other part of the world, where a large group of people are closely involved in one another's lives and rejoice deeply on the occasion of an auspicious event, but moreso for no other reason than the gratitude of being able to come together.
i am meeting so many inspiring people all the time.
making so
learning so much about myself.i have realised that i am far stronger than i have ever allowed myself to believe. i am really starting to crystallise an intention for myself. whilst i am prepared to allow myself to be open to new opportunities i do feel that it is time to be headstrong and to really work toward some goals. im thirsty for knowledge.
all my self awareness is nice and what not but if i really want to learn i need to be less about me and more about the world around me. even though im interacting with so many people and documenting and recording their stories and really being present to their point of view, i nevertheless am too involved in my own narrative.
my goal for the next three days is to listen more and talk less. this is tricky because a lot of the people with whom i interact have very limited english. that is, they can understand a lot more than they can say and in order for us to converse its really about me acting out and speaking slowly to tell them things about me.. because when i ask questions i dont get back much of a response a lot of the time, or i do but i cant make out what they are saying. i think it would have been pretty wise of me to have made an effort to properly learn a bit of tamil before i showed up here and expected to be able to communicate effectively wiht villagers... its not like i didnt have the time. that's one thing i want to think about more in ahead of time next time i plan to enter a community of non english speakers.
im eating far too much still. its just so hard to stop when the food is so good and the servings are large and in many situations it is a grave insult to say no to a second helping and i feel guilty when i dont finish all the food that is offered to me because so many of the people are so generously sharing with me when they already have so little. also there is so much sugar in everything. when you go to someones place they also put an extra spoon of sugar into what is already oversweet tea because you're the guest. this is tricky because it is often far too intense for me to even sip. they are offended when you dont drink it. if you explain it is too sweet but its ok you really arent in the mood for tea because it is too hot and you're more than happy with just water, you are then brought a new cup of tea that is no less sweet than the previous one.
i need to stop scratching the mosquito bites because they are getting really infected. im covered in sores because you heal slowly here because of the humidity.
will try to write again soon. sorry for the poor grammar, rambling, lack of detail and what not but i have been completely cured of any propensity to sit in front of a computer. my life is ticking away. if you want to know more about anything please ask.
also i want more phone calls. ask me if you want my number. love you all x



Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0527s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb