Puri


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Orissa » Puri
January 21st 2009
Published: February 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This was it - North India tour over and no tour leader holding our hands anymore! We were all alone and our first challenge was to negotiate Kolkata's Howrah train station to catch the 10.35pm overnight Puri Express. We had booked our tickets online a few days ago so we just had to figure out the platforms and where we'd be on the train. I won't lie I was overwhelmed by the sheer size of the station and the crowds, but no bother to Vinny. He had it all sussed in no time at all and at exactly 10.35pm we were pulling out of the station and setting up our sheets for the night! This was our first train journey that ran on time and arrived on time. We were in a 2AC cabin - 2 beds on each side of a cabin, with curtains, individual night lights and proper air con not just a fan. We arrived into Puri at about 8 in the morning and after passing dozens of people brushing their teeth with neem sticks we checked into a great hotel - really efficient and friendly. We spent most of our time in Puri strolling along the beach, planning our journey south and just relaxing. Puri was agreat base for exploring the neighbouring sites. We headed out to Konark, the site of the world famous Sun Temple. The building is very impressive with lots of intricate carving. In Bhubaneswar we walked around the outside walls of the Jaganath temple and then viewed the inside from a rooftop of a library opposite as non Hindus aren't allowed in, a busy temple with great architecture. When buying stamps in the local Post Office we were not as surprised as you might think to see a dog strolling around behind the counter. All part of India's charm!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0929s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb