The last of Delhi...


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » National Capital Territory » New Delhi
August 30th 2006
Published: August 30th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Lots more pictures in all the entries now as this is the last of India for a while and we're leaving for Abu Dhabi tomorrow...Rob's Hindi is now really excellent and he chats to absolutely everyone - I sometimes think he must be the most popular man in town...whereas I'm still stuck with a handful of phrases.
I've discovered William Dalrymple's books while we've been out here and have read them non-stop - they really have brought Delhi alive and tomorrow, we're going to have a last look at some of the historical places he talks about. If you're coming to Delhi, try 'City of Djinns' and 'The Age of Kali' - both brilliant, informative and very funny. Anyhow, I'm sitting in this internet place, working on a very slow connection which is also shared out amongst loads of other computers...may not emerge until the sun has gone down. Delhi is really much hotter and muggier than any of the other places we've visited. We sort of crawl around, dragging ourselves from street corner to street corner, then collapse at various strategic ( ie alcoholic ) points throughout the day...think we're probably all historical site and museumed-out by now...


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Street, power -cutStreet, power -cut
Street, power -cut

Loved this napalm-green ice cream seller glowing in the dark during one of the regular power cuts...
DelhiDelhi
Delhi

These buildings form a circle, Connaught Place, and must have been amazing once...
Raj GhatRaj Ghat
Raj Ghat

Where Ghandi was cremated
Having my shoe mendedHaving my shoe mended
Having my shoe mended

I was trying to ignore that flapping sole - it's been hanging off since Jaisalmer and all that sand...


Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 20; qc: 93; dbt: 0.0868s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb