Agro Agra and Delhi


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » National Capital Territory » New Delhi
November 27th 2011
Published: November 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Right so we left Jaipur and headed on up to Agra on a daytime train. When we arrived in Agra there was a slight chill in the air. Definatley not what we have been used to so far!

We arrived at Shajahan guest house to get some rooms. Ciaran scouted these out (a mans quick glance over). I shoved my bag in so i could book our train tickets to the next place, however.. On arriving back to the room we discovered that there was no toilet seat, not nice but manageable and a hole where the window once was. Now lizards I don't mind, they can pop in to visit all they want. Its the mozzys that really get on my tits as they like to ignore Ciaran totally and feast on me. Back we wearily head to reception where we meet the girls, their fan sounds like an aeroplane and toilet does not work, and we all know in Inida we need a flushing toilet...

Another hour passes before we are shown alternative rooms, which are ok so we gladly take them (considering we had been at the hostel for over two hours!!)

Settle down on the roof top terrace to appreciate the first glimpse of the Taj Mahal. Hold on. It's too foggy. Jumpers on, food ordered and strangely sex and the city 2 is on tv. Nothing like a bit of Carrie Bradshaw to pass the time.

We headed to bed as soon as we had eaten as the alarms were set for 5am, ticket booth opens at 6 so we wanted to get there before the que. Well worth it to watch the beutiful sunrise over the Taj....

Off we go at 5.30 so que for our tickets. The only people in front of us in the que are two hungover Dutch guys who, rather than go home and risk over sleeping camped out to get their place. (Its freezing cold, for me anyways!)

Tickets got, we're first in the line, first!!! Guide is sorted. Gates open at 7, so Jodie runs up with our tickets, exciting times!! First light is appearing in the sky. Whoooo

Hmmmm it's really foggy. The guide who speaks about as much English as I do Hindi gives us a crap tour and assures us that the sun will rise no later than 9. We have an hour to spare so we have a look at the gardens (bearing in mind we cannot see any more than 10 foot in front of us. The old guest house, the mosque , more gardens. 8.40 right time to get into position for that magic photo . Sun rise at the Taj Mahal.

9.00 still foggy.

9.30 still foggy.

9.45 I ask a man what time the sun will rise, his answer is tomorrow.

9.46 I return to the girls who have staked out their photo spot with the bad news

10.00 Still foggy. And cold at all these times, Heather and Jodie didn't bring a jumper like I suggested!!

10.15 Nope

10.30 The rare glimmer of light breaking through the fog, mist and clouds.

11.00 We can see the start of the famous Diana pose bench.

11.25 Lo and behold there is the Taj Mahal.

Was it worth it? No. Don't go at sunrise in Winter as it's a waste of time. Go with all the other massive tour groups at midday.

Rather demoralised, and hungry we went to call it a day. Lunch then doing nothing.

Ciaran who cannot not do anything went to see the Agra fort which he tells me was nice.

Onwards to Delhi, a mere 4 hours or so. We march up and down a street looking for somewhere to stay. After some hanggling we get to Down town Hotel. Alright by all standards.

McDonalds!!! We ran. Which was justified as we hadn't eaten all day and for me that is a dangerous venture. Alas there was no beef but it was fine. Cannuaght place has a Marks and Sparks so we went to have a nose, it's the same as home.

Next morning we plan to get up early to see some sights. My stomach had other plans. I was struck down with Delhi Belly, in Delhi, the irony. Heather accompanied me all day whilst Jodie slept as she didnt feel well and Ciaran went sightseeing. I can't tell you anything more about the day except for the films we watched. Praie the lord we had a TV; Speed 2, 2 Fast 2 Furious, Predators, Speed 1, Indiana Jones, American Music Awards and Ghost rider.

Feeling alot better the next day we went to the market and brought loads of preszzies. I felt like arse so we headed back. I really really wanted to see Twilight with the girls so as not to subject Ciaran to it and listen to him moan after for hours. Indian release wasn't until the 25th. Damn it!!!

As it was Heather's final night we headed for a slap up meal. Also Jodie had decided to cut her trip from 6 months to a month so changed her flight and leave the next day also.

We said our good nights for the last time, *tear*..........

Off Jodie went at 3am. Heather at 7am, we went to the airport with her which was pointless as unless your flying your not allowed to enter.

Me and Ciaran went to the place where Ghandi was shot, there is a museum here too which was wicked. All like interactive and stuff. Popped to the Red fort, which after you've seen one you've seen them all!!

Me and Ciaran are off to the Golden Temple next!! Excited!!xx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0565s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb