First Impressions can be Misleading


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » National Capital Territory » Delhi
January 17th 2009
Published: February 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Beautiful DelhiBeautiful DelhiBeautiful Delhi

Neighborhood where my hostel was the first night.
Got in late, but the hostel was clean and everything works. Good enough. Too bad no one mentioned that there was no heat. And of course, you can't tell that the walls are paper thin. Too bad they hadn't done the math before we got to the desk in the AM and added it wrong, trying to overcharge us, then readding it to an amount we agreed to pay. We won't be staying there again when we leave.
We awoke the next day, after having woken a few times in the night (because we were cold), both a little cranky, but we decided to remedy that with food.
At this point, I am not impressed with India. It's loud. I don't want to go out.

We set off without a clue where we were headed. We walked through mud, around construction on the already narrow streets, holes in the ground, cows, and found a little place that serves western and Indian breakfasts. We both opted for "traditional breakfasts" which included eggs, "chips," hummus, and pita bread, served with choice of mild chai or mild coffee. It was a good breakfast and pretty cheap at 70 rupees. (There are 48 Rupees
Beautiful DelhiBeautiful DelhiBeautiful Delhi

Note all the cows.
to the US dollar, currently.)
At this point, I decide that there is hope.

Enroute back to our hostel for a quick stop, we see people all the way in the street (only their heads above ground) building something. Not sure what. But they were stacking bright orange bricks with cement. In circles. Like chimnies. While balancing on them. _IN_ the road. Pavement will go over it.

Off to the train station, which I've already told you about, to be almost took took, and then off in our tuk tuk to try and not be took took. I'm excited about the travel plans. We get to really see everything we want with no extra waiting and headaches.

Part of the deal with getting a driver is that you get to "try him out" first. Complementry. A driver around Delhi for the day. Who knows how to get to the good sights while we relax in the back, watching chaos ensue around us? Done.

First he took us to Humayun's tomb. Humayun was the second Mughal emperor and his tomb is a good example of early Mughal architecture. It was pretty peaceful until a herd of school
POURING Rain, the day we leftPOURING Rain, the day we leftPOURING Rain, the day we left

The cow on the right pushed its way in to that space to get out of the rain and the farm fragrant mud.
children showed up. And saw us. Or, saw me, I should say. Sure, they were interested in Kent, too, but I'm the blondish female from America. He's tall, dark, and some here think he looks Indian. (He's of Italian hertitage.) So they (and by they, I mean 100) followed us around chattering with us until the guards yelled at them.

We saw a tomb and its buildings, and then the... okay, I have no idea what it actually was besides brilliant. From what we read, a whole village once existed inside the walls. It was just amazing. I'll let my pictures do the talking.

Then we went to the Lotus Temple. It's a B'hai temple and absolutely beautiful. It's made of marble and just huge. Pictures were not allowed inside, but the middle rotunda has many 9 sided stars, one inside the other, up to infinity. The arcs of the walls were breathtaking. And it was so quiet.

After that, we ate. A bit expensive, but it had been 7 hours and the food was amazing. We had mushroom marsala and chicken curry with bread. The curry gravy was so good, we ordered extra bread just to finish mopping it up! We topped it off with a refreshing lime water, which is actually lime, water, and sugar.

After that, we went to Ghandi's last home and museum. I was filled with awe seeing the 2 rooms where he spent his last 144 days, where he took his last footsteps, and where he was shot. We also saw where he used to pray with people everyday and many, many pictures. And I took many, many pictures and learned a lot more about the man. Now that I know more, I certainly understand why his face is on of India's money!

More school children there. They were also impressed with us. Kent joked that they would tell people they went to Ghandi's home and saw Americans. Or a blonde American woman and some guy. Their teacher apologized... that they didn't have more time to talk with us. Yes, please, swarm me with 200 children all whom want to know everything about me and touch me. Though, admittedly, it was pretty cute.

When we were leaving we saw the school buses. Children were throwing food wrappers out of the windows. I have yet to see a trash can in this country.

Then we took a quick, no-parking spin to the goverment buildings. We could see them setting up all the chairs and roadblocks for the upcoming National Day celebration on the 26th. I have never seen so many chairs in one place at one time.
By this point, I have decided I do like India, but not necessarily Delhi. But a country's true character lies in its smaller villiages and towns, not big cities.

After that, back to the travel agency to get our intineray for the next 3 weeks and then our driver took us home, picking out a spot for where we will meet him tomorrow. It was enroute to our meeting point that a goat and a cow both ran in front of our car. At the same time.

I am truly somewhere I have never been.



Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

The whole thingThe whole thing
The whole thing

The shape of the doorway is indicative of Muslim arcitecture.
Ghandi's thingsGhandi's things
Ghandi's things

My understanding is that this is ALL he owned.
A goal never reachedA goal never reached
A goal never reached

This is where Ghandi was headed when he was shot. He met with people here everyday to pray and meditate.
A WWI tribute to fallen soldiersA WWI tribute to fallen soldiers
A WWI tribute to fallen soldiers

Huge does not begin to describe this. I had to take this while jumping out of a car and running...the street was closed down for Jan 26. sorry if it's a bit crooked.


Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 9; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0472s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb