Hello from "Scotland of the East'!


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Meghalaya » Shillong
September 19th 2007
Published: September 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

I've covered a few miles since my last entry! The last time I wrote I was Bhubaneswar, Orissa. I left Orissa on Monday morning at 6am on the train to Kolkata. We booked tickets through an agent but didn't really check the tickets properly before travelling. They had me down as male. The conductor came round and wasn't accepting the ticket. I had my first proper taste of the Indian way of sorting things out...Swarup asked to talk to the guy outside so they disappeared between compartments. The conductor accepted a 50Rs bribe instead of paying for a new ticket which would have been 400Rs. Later another conductor came round and was not so corrupt and we ended up having to pay again! The train was ok but we weren't in the AC compartment which we later regretted.

Met a nice family sitting across from us who gave me some homemade pickle to take with me and I introduced their 4 year old to the lonely planet, well she was enjoying the pictures at least!

There were many differences between the trains here and at home; firstly, you have children jumping on a stations begging, others performing tricks for money, people selling things through the windows when stopped at stations and guys coming through the train selling food like egg sandwiches, curry and tea and coffee (from clay pots).Oh yeah, and inbetween compartment doors the outside door is open so you can hang out of the train if you so wish!

We had to change trains in Kolkata and had 3 hours between trains so we tried to sort out the ticket problem for the next part of the journey. It was such a nightmare and thank goodness we had 3 hour because we needed it! We spoke to about 10 different people who sent us here, there and everywhere and in the end we bought a new ticket but we splashed out on an air conditioned compartment this time! Thank goodness we did as the journey was 18 hours long. You get a bunk with a pillow and sheets which makes things easier.

We arrived in Guwahati, the capital of Assam (sweaty and smelly!). Visited a museum and the Bazaar (market) and river. There was a park overlooking the beautiful river. The park was full of courting couples, but instead of looking out at the view, they were all hidden behind statues and bushes holding hands and kissing. No affection is shown here in public so everyone makes for the parks to hide (sometimes under the cover of an umbrella, despite no rain)!

Now, I'm writing from Shillong, Meghalaya, known as 'Scotland of the East' so am feeling right at home! he he! We got a 4 wheel drive from Guwahati to Shillong this morning. There were 10 of us packed like sardines into it for a 4 hours rollercoaster ride up the mountains. The scenery along the way was beautiful. Had a look around Shillong earlier where we found a park made by the British in 1894. Everyone here speaks english as the main language and despite it being very isolated, it's much more modern than the India I have seen so far. The people look different here, they have a more Chinese look as the state borders China and Burma and they are friendlier.

So that's all my adventures to date! Still having a brilliant time!

Lots of love from Shillong!xxxx



Advertisement



19th September 2007

Interesting!
Well hunni it certainly sounds like you are having fun! The train journey sounds interesting... not sure i would have stuck it out! Lol! Really good to hear that you are well, will email you very soon. Off to Pitlochry tomorrow on a field trip with S3... cant wait!!! Take care, love ya lots and missing you too! xxxx

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0407s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb