dhamma giri - 10 days silent meditation


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Maharashtra
January 1st 2007
Published: January 29th 2007
Edit Blog Post

the pagoda of dhamma girithe pagoda of dhamma girithe pagoda of dhamma giri

surrounded by hundreds of meditation cells to do serious work in silence
From Mumbai I continued to a little town called Igatpuri. Exactly in time to start the 10-days Vipassana meditation course I have had already registered for when I was in Bolivia.
In Igatpuri you find Dhamma-Giri - the seat of the Int. Vipassana Research Institute and biggest Vipassana-meditation center in the world.
Vipassana is a non-sectarian and non-religious meditation-technique discovered by Buddha. The technique was long lost in India but well preserved over generations in Burma, from where it got reintroduced to India by S.N. Goenka at the beginning of the 70's. This 10-day courses are donation-based and run by volunteers. Centers are spread all over the world today...
Inspired by my brother, who started to practice when he was in India about 3 years ago, I did a course in Switzerland already a year before. So I knew that it will be hard work - and it was. 9 out of 10 days without speaking, meditating the whole day long and not eating in the evening - a challenging task for everybody.
I struggled quite a bit, specially in the beginning, but it was a very important and valueable time for me again! Rewarding in so many aspects... And also very special because it happened over christmas - no celebration, just meditation...

May all beings be happy!

www.dhamma.org


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

the big dhamma-gongthe big dhamma-gong
the big dhamma-gong

waking us up at 4:00 am every morning - time to meditate!


24th February 2007

for the benefit of the many
gate gate, pragate, prasamgate bodhi svh. gone, gone, gone beyond, gone completely beyond. praise to the awakened one! may all beings be free! may all beings be happy!

Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 85; dbt: 0.0906s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb