Day 9: "Here's to Catchin' Up A little"


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Maharashtra » Nagpur
March 21st 2012
Published: March 25th 2012
Edit Blog Post

It was another early morning but all were awake because of the dog-fights outside. We had work duties starting at 6:30am. A mound of sand, much larger then the first, was to be spread in the playground. With the help of several little kids (you can see them in the pictures) we were able to get the job done - ok, half done. You have to love the Indian work schedule. We worked for about an hour and then they bring us a hot cup of Chai - this is a system that will definitely need to be implemented back home!



8:00am rolled around and we had our daily breaky and devotions. A few days ago we promised the teachers of the school that we would pop by their classrooms to observe. The school is one long two-storey building with all secondary (which they called middle classes) on the top floor and the lower floor all primary students. The classrooms are a wake up call to any Canadian student or teacher. We have a lot in comparison - whether it be resources, equipment, notebooks, technology, or simply painted walls - but these teachers work under tough conditions. Despite not having any of these 'frills' these are excellent teachers. Fully credentialed, a love for their students, and good at what they do. It was great to share some resources such as books, games, etc. with them and discuss some ways in which we can help and support them and they did not hesitate to tell us what they needed!!



The other half of the team worked tirelessly in the kitchen prepping for lunch while some others worked in the computer lab with some students. The computer lab here is excellent and was donated a few years ago through the Heronbrook Foundation which generously supports the school in a variety of ways. We, as a team are working hard at researching ways that the computer lab might be more useful for ESL purposes.



The heat was overbearing again this afternoon but we had a few hours to play with the kids. The boys are certainly getting bold with us now. Initially we had a small compound to ourselves where we would find time to relax but now the compound has turned into a playground. Kids relentlessly knock on our guesthouse doors to ask for cards, UNO, or dominoes to play with in the courtyard. You just cant say no!



We spent the later afternoon in music lessons. Pam, Anne, and Amy have worked hard to teach some of the kids a few english worship songs with the hope of having them sing/play them during our last chapel. The others of the team joined in and taught the kids the actions to the songs. We had the privilege also to learn a Hindi/Marahti worship song from the music teacher, Francis.


[center;" align="center">[/center;" align="center"><p> <br>[center;">[/center;" align="center"><p> <br>[center;">[/center;" align="center"><p> <br>[center;">[/center;" align="center">



We were all pretty tired when we got home and were anticipating a 'sleep-in' the next morning - afterall, Wednesday is surely going to be an interesting day - train departs at 7:10pm.



Please pray for the train ride. We, as a team, have adapted to new adventures very well but the train is a whole new adventure. We ask that God would calm our anxious minds and that He would keep us safe throughout the journey as He has done so faithfully already. Please also pray that each team member may receive a fresh, renewed Spirit for the girls school and that we might have the same enthusiasm and gusto that we had at the boys school.



Stay Tuned.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0625s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb