Moving on


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Maharashtra » Mumbai
October 6th 2008
Published: October 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Laura at the Gateway of IndiaLaura at the Gateway of IndiaLaura at the Gateway of India

Numerous locals wanted to take pictures with Laura or me. It was very flattering (and not a scam, as Frank thought).

Oct. 7, 2:40 a.m.

We depart for Nagpur this morning. Our flight is at 7:05, but we leave the hotel at 4:30 because of traffic. Yesterday, we toured. The photos capture the experience better than I can, with the exception of dinner (because I didn't photograph it)-- we ate in the hotel's Chinese restaurant. I ordered the capsicum because Í had never tried it, and none of us knew what it was. We all liked it. Turns out, it's bell pepper. We also had avocado cheese cake for dessert. Frank and I liked it; Laura thought it had an aftertaste, Susan thought it was not enough like the cheesecake we're used to.

We have noticed that the men in India are very handsome. Besides the obvious coloring differences, they're smaller and less macho than many Western men. Susan noticed this too. At dinner, Susan pointed out the particularly attractive waiter, "I know many of the other men are good looking, but this guy, he's like an Adonis. He's just gorgeous." Laura: "Mom, he's right behind you."




Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Your gf is supposed to tell you when you look ridiculousYour gf is supposed to tell you when you look ridiculous
Your gf is supposed to tell you when you look ridiculous

Maybe the locals wanted a shot with me because I look so goofy. What's with the bandana?
Deal of the centuryDeal of the century
Deal of the century

That's about 9 cents.
Lovely colorsLovely colors
Lovely colors

The Taj hotel is in the background
VeggiesVeggies
Veggies

The unrecognizable vegetable is bitter goard. It's firm but soft.
Jains making sandlewood pasteJains making sandlewood paste
Jains making sandlewood paste

The guide said that sandlewood oil is very cooling. Add one drop to a bucket of water, pour on head, and it will keep you cool all day. Frank responded, "I need two buckets.
More Jain TempleMore Jain Temple
More Jain Temple

The Jains branched off of Hinduism about 400 B.C.E., as a reaction against the caste system and brahmin culture. They are somewhat similar to Buddhism, and principally known for very high non-violent principles. The orthodox Jains wear the mouth shields so that they do not inhale bugs; they are also limited in what professions they will pursue. They will not farm because it could hurt worms, etc.
Frank and Susan in the Hanging GardenFrank and Susan in the Hanging Garden
Frank and Susan in the Hanging Garden

They're standing in front of a pig shaped topiary, and to the viewer's right, in the back, is a penguin shaped dustbin. The hanging garden is called that because it is on the hill. It is built on top of an enclosed water reservoir.
Open air laundryOpen air laundry
Open air laundry

Two thousand men work in the laundry. They wash 300-400 garmets a day, for 2 rupees per garmet. Because the work is so laborious, they cannot fall asleep without alcohol.
Locals with Beer TowerLocals with Beer Tower
Locals with Beer Tower

At Leopold Cafe
PrayingPraying
Praying

I have so few uses for rice.


Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.063s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb