India tour blog 2


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Maharashtra » Mumbai » Colaba
November 15th 2014
Published: November 15th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Mumbai is a fascinating city. A real mix of new and old, busy roads, large open spaces for leisure, nice shops and street sellers. Roads are v congested, mainly with little black and yellow cabs, motor cycles and bikes all jostling to keep moving. pedestrian crossing points are far and few between so people just walk in the road and cross whenever... Somehow it works and at least traffic keeps moving instead of having to stop at crossings!

Friday we visited Elephanta Island, on the way our boat was stopped by the police twice for security checks. The island which is full of monkeys, has man made caves containing enormous carvings of Hindu gods. Made centuries ago and very impressive. On the way back we visited the magnificent Taj hotel and the Gateway to India in the harbour which is a bit like Marble Arch.

Shabbat services were held in a nearby Sassoon funded Baghdadi shul and we had our meals in chabad house - In which 6 were killed by terrorists almost exactly 6 years ago. It's just been refurbished and reopened, but they have not touched the bullet holes. A sad reminder of terror. The people of Mumbai are so welcoming and pleasant.

On our way back to the hotel we passed endless street markets selling everything you can imagine, children sleeping on the pavement, the Sassoon library and the massive crowded railway station built to resemble St Pancras.

A busy schedule but a fascinating and enjoyable one.

Advertisement



16th November 2014

blog 2
extremely interesting. keep it going. Alls well here.
16th November 2014

Sounds like you're having such fun!!! Enjoy
16th November 2014

Sounds like you're having such fun!!! Enjoy
16th November 2014

Sounds like you're having such fun!!! Enjoy

Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0392s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb