Caves!


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Maharashtra » Aurangabad
March 9th 2010
Published: March 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We have to relearn to do everything again here, from crossing streets to taking the train. We have successfully taken the train twice now and have a pretty good grasp of how to do it. We travelled to Aurangabad by an overnight train to go see the ancient Buddhist/Hindu/Jain caves of Ajanta and Ellora. We took sleeper class, which is non a/c and the lowest class with beds. The eight hour train ride cost us about 2.50 each. All the people around us we very nice and peppered Brian with questions about Canada. There were a pair of antisocial European travellers in our berth as well, but we didn't know it until they came to go to sleep. Up until that they stoled other peoples bed so they could read and not have to experience local culture at all. They were made fun of quite a bit by the others on the train (hehe!).

Everyone on the train liked that I have very long hair and that Brian is a farmer, it's an occupation that is familiar to many. We rode with a stationary shop owner and a newspaper photographer. We are making many Indian friends.

We checked into the extrememly deceprit youth hostel for 3 nights to use a base for exploring the caves and attempting to escape from the insanity of Mumbai. There's *only* 800, 000 people in this town. We got lost twice on the way to Bibik Maqbara, which is a mauseloum that is a mini-taq mahal. It's still huge! The first time we were escorted to the correct road up the hill by a group of about 7 highschool students and the second a middleaged man drove us there on the back of his motorcycle. We we arrived there I was attacked by 15 really cute little girls wanting to shake my hand and say hello, it was sweet but I'm not used to being swarmed by some many curious children. Their parents looked on and gave us approving smiles.

We first visited the caves of Ajanta that are about 2 hours away by local bus that drives very well but frightenly at times, the road is always full of taxis, goats, people, cows and little trucks. On both trips we made friends with everyone at the back of the bus. The caves themselves are amazing! Some of them still have original paintings
Bibik a MaqbaraBibik a MaqbaraBibik a Maqbara

This is not the Taj Mahal - this is just a tribute
that are a thousand years old depicting Buddhist mythologies. I'll let the photos speak for themselves.

At least 20 groups of people of the few days wanted to take their pictures with us, sometimes a pictures with each member of the family, from little girls to old men, no one taller than our shoulders. We must look like very approachable weirdies.

Tonight we board a train to Goa and are hoping it is much quieter there!

Take care


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



9th March 2010

WoW. Keep up the great blog.
Hello Jenna and Brian. Keep up the great writing and pics. It's almost like being there....without the noise and the smell. It must be great to talk to so many new people. All is well here. Keep exploring...and writing. Love, Mom.
9th March 2010

caves?
Hey! Jenna! That's a very cute cow. You both look very happy to be there, and it sounds like you're having oodles of fun :) If fun comes in oodles -- i wonder how many cups that is... anyway! It's very nice to hear from you folk. Stanley and I were just learning about caves on Sunday. Y'all should try to get out to the Gomantong Caves in Malaysia! They're filled with these like 30 ft guano deposits which are covered in cockroaches that live off the gauno and the bats who fall into it! (Imagine being eaten alive by cockroaches, drowning in a pile of your own shit!... wait, don't! That's terrible! LOL!) They're also the home of these little birds called swiftlets who make their nests from their own saliva. And then people come and harvest the nests and make soup out of them. lol! I highly encourage you to go! :) Hope you're well!
12th March 2010

Oh my GOSH! Looks like you two are having so much fun. You'll be happy to know our house now has kombucha and kraut. starting on bread and beer soon, and making our house much more water efficient! I'm really enjoying the blog, thanks for doing it this way!
17th March 2010

Glad that you arrived safely! Great photos! Thanks for sharing your journey with us all! Big hugs, Angela

Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 73; dbt: 0.09s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb