Ajanta Caves


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Maharashtra » Ajanta Caves
April 27th 2010
Published: May 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Buddhist Caves - Awesome

Just when i thought we'd seen it all, along come the Ajanta Caves.............

Set along side a horseshoe bend in the river (dry when we were there), they we were similar in style and age to Ellora, except they lay undiscovered for several hundred years, and were adorned with the most beautiful paintings you could imagine. It was only rediscovered in 1812 by a British hunting party.

We climbed to a lookout point high on the opposite bank, which gave wonderful panoramic views of the whole site.



Once inside we were met with enormous temples, designed with columns, walls, ceilings and massive statues of Buddha all decorated with intricate, stylish paintings and colorful religious scenes.
Deer, and trees, and gods 'picnicking' were common themes, as well as cartoon gargoyles and geometric patterns.

We wandered happily for hours and hours, each cave different to the next, some even felt cathedral like in their design. All were blissfully cool and shady, offering much needed respite from the 47 degrees outside!

Some were simple dorm-style accommodation giving us an insight to how the monks may have lived...... stone beds were even carved out of rock, complete with pillow!!

This is certainly something to be considered for the Wonders of the World......................





Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



14th May 2010

re: your pics
Hey Guy hope you and Liffy are doing well and enjoy your tour, your site is awesome broer I luv the pics and the whole history with it. Your dad and me are sitting here at work on this friday 17:40 while I'm writing to you. Keep well chat soon!

Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0755s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb