Khajuraho Temples: One of the Wonders of the World


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Madhya Pradesh » Khajuraho
December 29th 2011
Published: December 29th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Khajuraho is famous for its temples, which are about 1,000 years old. They are widely publicised as having erotic sculptures. It was Christmas so we had booked into a nice hotel, The Ramada, which was a bit out of town away from all the noise and just what we wanted.



We had a walk around a local market, which was definitely not a tourist market and we found how nice all the people were there. No mobiles with cameras on this market and so the kids were really pleased to have their photo taken, all with smiling faces, which lit up when they saw themselves on the camera screen. They have nothing, but how happy they are.



Khajuraho is a pleasant little village, and that is all it is, it’s the temples we have come to see.



On the first day we decided to see the ‘Southern Temples’ which were OK but hardly mind blowing. Next day we saw the ‘Western Temples’, entry fee 250 rupees (£3), 10 rupees for Indians. After we had passed the usual touts we were in, to see one of the greatest sights in the world. I am not sure why these temples are not on the main tourist routes, perhaps because they are difficult to get to, or maybe they are mainly publicised for their erotic art, which may put some people off. This would be a shame as, although there are many statues of scantily clad girls, the more erotic statues are few, and I believe, if you did not know they were there, you would not see them. Angkor Wat maybe the ‘in’ temples to see in South East Asia but these have more quality, more carvings and are better preserved. There have been some very crude attempts to restore some parts, as has Angkor Wat, but this does not really detract from one of the wonders of the world.



The only problem with Khajuraho is the hassle which, whilst initially no worse than many other places, is constantly pushing you to your limits and you can never relax. There is always a 'guide' jumping into your tuk tuk, who then has to be removed whilst claiming "I do not want money, I just want to practise my English". Yeah, yeah and then we would find the tuk tuk has been directed to his uncle's shop. The poor Japanese, who seem to be 50% of the tourists, get it worse as they will not be rude, which you end up being.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.336s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0964s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb