Herds of Elephants, Butterflies & Beautiful Birds


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Kerala
January 6th 2010
Published: June 23rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 9.53333, 77.2





Thekkady (Periyar) Eravikulam National Park

Our hotel was inside Eravikulam National park and after dinner we ventured in the forest for a small trek to see Tigers. We were accompanied by armed guard with rifle and we took our torches. The walk was fun but we did not see any tigers. Periyar valley in Thekkady has 27 tiger reserves in India and is also home to several species of rare butterflies, animals and birds, our Lodge was near the Periyar lake.








Next morning after breakfast we all lined up to go on the boat ride on the lake feeling very excited, one couple were late and we all waited for them impatiently, the lady had been ironing clothes, it was second time they kept us waiting as she was keen on wearing ironed clothes. Well who cares about ironed clothes when going on boat trip when the clothes were going to be crumpled any way, I am not fussed about ironing whilst travelling unless I am going for evening out special or a show on my travels. The tour Operator told them politely that the time keeping was important.







As we were in front of the queue, we got good place on the boat, which was really nice ride and we were lucky to see many elephants bathing, playing around the lake with their cute baby elephants. We also saw Sambhar deer, squirrels, eagles, birds and beautiful butterflies. It was very peaceful and tranquil here, this is really nice place to chill and or trekking the mountains, wildlife sanctuary. After the ride we went for a walk in the sanctuary enjoying the beautiful views of the tea, spice plantations and we also saw the monkeys then we set off for the coach trip to Madurai to see the Stunning Meenakshi Temple.


Additional photos below
Photos: 56, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0465s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb