Until next time...


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Kerala » Varkala
January 21st 2007
Published: February 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Our last few days in India were spent on the sheer cliff tops of Varkala in Kerala. The setting, so dramatic, was quite fitting really to end our final days here. Walking along the cliff tops we discovered miles and miles of deserted beaches and a few quiet guesthouses overlooking the Arabian Sea. It's taken us a while to learn that if you move away from the main tourist areas you find some really amazing unspoilt havens which you just don't want too many people to find out about - ever.

In the mornings the fishermen would pull in their huge net on the beach and divide out the catch, small boats would be out collecting clam-like shellfish, which would involve diving off the boat and searching on the bottom - without visibility - to sell to the local villagers for 1 rupee each - Simon helped out with both of these whilst I sat back taking photos and enjoying the comradery.

We stayed for four days and experienced more about what have enjoyed about India, the people, the simplicity of life, the smiles, the landscapes. I know we have only scratched the surface of this country and we have met so many people that come to India year after, even some for the past 25 years, as the country is so vast with so many different cultures that there is always something new to enjoy, and the people are amazing.

We left Varkala on a high, with lots of great memories. Our three months here have just raced by, but I think, even now, before I have even set foot in another country, it will one of my highlights and I will be definitely be giving it a lot of thought when I return xx








Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



16th February 2007

India goodby
Thanks for the pictures Emma. Reading what you said made me feel sad your Indian experience is over. I hope serendipity continues to be with you both. Love, Pat. xx

Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0601s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb