Day 15: Cochin to Thekkady 2 October 2017


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Kerala » Thekkady
October 2nd 2017
Published: October 5th 2017
Edit Blog Post

We had a very different massage in ThekkadyWe had a very different massage in ThekkadyWe had a very different massage in Thekkady

Pam & Debbie with our masseuse
Day 15: Cochin - Thekkady 2 October 2017







This morning after breakfast, we drove to Thekkady (191 km/ 4.5 hrs approx.). It was another beautiful drive with better roads. There were rubber plantations, coffee trees, pineapples, and as we climbed higher, tea plantations. On arrival to Thekkady, we found a casual restaurant which had a lot of Indians so we knew it would have good food – and it did.







After lunch we checked into our hotel. Soon after Debbie and I decided to have a massage on the recommendation of Mohar. It was one of the most ‘interesting’massage I have had. I totally undressed and was put on a firm table on my back and a large amount of heated ‘medicinal’ oil was poured over me. The lady whipped me into shape!!!! I wasn’t comfortable due to the hard surface and the massage wasn’t firm thank goodness because of the hard table. Despite that, I always believe you should try these things. The oil was wiped off but I was very keen to have a shower.







Next, we visited a local Spice Plantation and discover crops such as cardamom, nutmeg, pepper, coffee and tamarind in their native environment and learn about their varied uses. For centuries Kerala has grown and exported spices around the world and a walking tour of a plantation allowed us to gain a first-hand experience of the cultivation, growth and processing of spices.







It was then time to attend a Martial Art performance. Highly flexible, strong, well-coordinated men demonstrated their skills. They used swords, sticks, shields and knives to fight with. The display of flexibility was incredible. The ‘master’ also and several other men jumped through flaming rings. The master also jumped over 8 people, including 6 volunteers from the audience.







We then went back to Debbie & David’s hotel as they had the gin!! It was Gandhi’s birthday celebration so this was yet another holiday when alcohol is not for sale – the second day in a row!!! We all had a buffet at their hotel also before walking for 10 minutes back to our hotel. While we were eating dinner, it rained but had stopped by the time we were ready to walk back.



Thekkady is home to herds of elephants, samber, tigers, gaur, lion-tailed macaques and Nilgiri langurs.


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0502s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb