Tea Plantations of Travancore


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Kerala » Munnar
February 22nd 2010
Published: February 28th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


The Mountains bring peace!




With every mile the bus bumped and jolted along the air became clearer, cooler, calmer and refreshing.

The 4 hr journey rewarded us with gum trees, cardamon, and tea fields as far as the eye could see.
Valleys and mountains sliced through by silver waterfalls, Hurrah for Munnar!!
We can hug without breaking into a profuse sweat. Result.

We spent a week exploring the hills, both on foot and rickshaw...we discovered hidden villages, rivers, lakes, flowers spices, and elephants...all the while accompanied by swathes of green green tea.

The tea fields, the highest in the world, are owned by the TATA corporation. They control the whole town, schools, utilities ect. Not bad in a communist ruled province.

The spice plantations and virgin teak forests surround the tea. Views into neighboring Tamil Nidoo are not uncommon and serve a real treat at sunrise and sunset. There is a strong contingent of long term travelers here and a really slow pace to daily life. A tour of the plantations revealed coco, coffee, cardamon and pepper to mention a few.

Guy found a bottle of Gin, served warm with Limca (A lime fizzy drink) bless, How much we miss ice.


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



28th February 2010

mum
What happened to your handsome beard. The heat must be worse than DBN. You are both looking well. India must agree with you. Love mom

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 20; dbt: 0.0251s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb