Kumily and "Leaches" Periyar Wildlife Park


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Kerala » Kumily
May 19th 2009
Published: June 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

So we woke up at 6am to go on a jungle trek which turned out to be not so much fun...It was a 3 hour walk through the forest and wetlands. We saw monkeys... the endangered giant squirrel (which was the size of a cat)..spiders...dears...lizards...and leaches, lots and lots of leaches. I had at one time about 15 of these little leaches trying to get in each of my shoes...Thankfully me and Bonnie had long trousers and socks tucked in and trainers as these little leaches were soooo fast and were getting everywhere. On the floor everywhere were these little leaches. One girl was wearing flip-flops and she had about 10 bites by the end of the walk and was bleeding! We didnt see any, but there are also pythons and cobras in the park!! As the picture shows its a tiger reserve, we didnt see any as they are quite shy and prefer to stay away from us.

In the afternoon we posted some of my (Extra un-needed) clothes back to the UK, the postal system here insists you get your parcel wrapped in material by a tailor..

At 4 we went for a ferry trip around the parks large lake. While waiting for the boat this family started talking to us, as insisted on a photo (as almost everyone does here) Then after that everytime they saw us they were shouting our names as if we were famous, very embarrassing.
The boat trip wasnt great, we got soaked as it rained and it was very cold, we saw so bison and dear and i spotted a turtle.

For dinner we had a super yummy butter panner masala, it was so great i forced Bonnie to go back with me the next day 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Lake viewLake view
Lake view

Taken from rainy boat trip


Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0876s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb