Day 17: Kumarakom in Kerala, India 4 October 2017


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Kerala » Kumarakom
October 4th 2017
Published: October 6th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Day 17: Alleppey - Kumarakom 4 October 2017







Kumarakom is a popular tourism destination located near the city of Kottayam famous for its backwater tourism. Debbie was keen to buy some copper pots and Moran said there might be some for sale in the markets of Kottayam. We parked the van and walked along the busy market street, moving from one shop to another. The results where that we both bought sari material and Deb also found several small copper bowls but sadly, no large ones were found.



The men also found a café which sold excellent cappuccino so we all had one, including Mohan.



Fishing, agriculture and tourism are the major economic activities in this area. Kumarakom's perfectly balanced tropical climate is very conducive to cultivation. The place has expanses of mangrove forests, paddy fields and coconut groves. Fruits like Banana, Mango, Jackfruit, Ambazhanga, Puli (Tamarind), Chaambenga, Peraycka (Guava), Aathaycka and Pineapple grow here. Also, cocoa and coffee, chena (yam) and chembu (colocasia), grow well and were cultivated under the coconut trees. This rich agricultural environment is mainly irrigated using interspersed waterways and canals of the Meenachil river. The smaller canals are often lined by hibiscus plants which lean partly over the canals to form a green canopy, from which hang the lovely hibiscus flowers.



Mohan first dropped us off to our hotel and Deb and David’s was 7 kms away. We then decided to go to their hotel to have both lunch and dinner. The hotel also offered a sunset cruise as well as a cultural dance.



The hotel was on the bank of the large Vembanad Lake, with its lawns reaching down to the water. Prolific trees provided excellent shade so while Deb and David were settling in, Tom & I sat in the breeze, under the trees. It was beautiful.



Later we had lunch followed by a Baileys on ice (thank you Deb and Dave) before the sunset cruise. The sunset was hindered by thick cloud low on the horizon but before the sunset, it was lovely. We then came back to land before 6.00pm because the fishermen were on their way out and there was an agreement that tourist boats be out of the water so they don’t hinder the fishermen. Fishing is mainly done using the small boats (vallams) and gill nets (gear). The main catches are black clam (Villorita cyprinoides), Karimeen (Pearl spot also known as Etroplus suatensis) and shrimp.



Once back on land we enjoyed a white wine and beer before the cultural show. Next was our final dinner and by 9.00pm we were ready to say our final goodbyes to our new friends from Hobart, and returned to our hotel. Again, Mohan wanted to drive us back, even though we tried to convince him that we were happy to take a tuk tuk back. He had been fantastic and we tipped him appropriately when we said goodbye to him.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0378s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb