Glimpses of Kerala - 1 - Kovalam


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Kerala » Kovalam
November 6th 2013
Published: November 7th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Glimpses of Kerala-1 : Kovalam



We are from Gujarat and vegetarians. Some of my remarks may reflect these.

It was our third attempt at planning a trip to Kerala. We could manage only 7N8D trip which I know, is not enough to enjoy Kerala thoroughly. Our plan included 2N in Kovalam (to accommodate Kanniyakumari), 1N in Kumarkom houseboat, 2N in Thekkady and 2N in Munnar.

Due to last minute changes in flight schedules, we lost two precious hours. We reached Trivandrum at 3 pm instead of 1 pm. 2 hours seems a small loss but for us, it meant cancelling visit to Padmanabhan temple in Trivandrum. We had planned only this one place in Trivandrum and it had to be dropped thanks to SpiceJet. So, we went straight to hotel on Kovalam beach.

Kovalam beaches are supposed to be some of the finest in India. The Sagara and Lighthouse beaches, very close to each other are OK but there are many others in India that are much better. I was disappointed. Beaches of Goa are unbeatably no. 1. Havelock in Andamans is also very good (but too far, very expensive to reach). Nagoa beach of Diu (off Gujarat), or Marina beach of Chennai are better than Kovalam. The sand in Kovalam is black – muddy and smelly, shelf is short and steep. Rocks surrounding the beach result in spray of sea water in the air to such an extent that the atmosphere remains hazy. (See the photo of lighthouse).

Hawkers are not allowed on the beach. Good. There is no litter although the beach was crowded. Guards and policemen were seen keeping watch (unusual)! Benches (with umbrella) were available for Rs. 100 to rest. Food available in nearby restaurants (plenty of them) may be good for non-veg, but for us, there was not much choice.

A couple of hours at Kovalam are more than enough. As hotels of all categories are plenty, one can take a chance for better bargain.

Next, to Kanniyakumari.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.034s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb