Kovalum


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Kerala » Kovalam
January 8th 2011
Published: January 10th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Kovalum


As our time in India was coming to a close, we had to get close to our departure town of Trivanthinum, for the flight to the Maldives. I found out through some friends befor I left, that there was an area called Kovalum, just to the south of Trivanthinum that had some beautiful resorts on the beach front, at reasonable prices. We asked Eapon and Lizzy, and Eapon said that he had a friend who owned one of these resorts, and he would organise a nights accommodation for us.

We drove from Thuravella, to Kovalum by taxi, a distance of 125 Km by Taxi at a cost of 2500 rupees which is about $A40.00 and takes at least three hours. The trip was another Indian experience, and by the time we arrived, I expect that we had heard at least one full hour of horn honking from our driver. It is one of those things that I guess you eventually get used to, but it seems that if the car in frone is a lesser car than yours, it MUST be tooted at, and immediately passed, even if a truck is coming towards you. We did have a heart stopping moment, on a bridge at one stage when an oncoming vehicle, doing about 60KM/H was coming straight for us on a narrow bridge, and we both had nowhere to go. Even our cab driver seemed shaken by thi s one, and remained slow for about 30 seconds afterwards.


Once at Kovalum, we spent some time enjoying the resort, before splitting up to do some different types of tourist shopping. I investigated the local shops, while Mum and Dad took a taxi into Trivanthinum. In the end i saw a wonderful sunset over the Arabian Sea, along with about 1000 Indians and their families at the beach.

An interesting thing to note is that the Ocean here seems to get rougher at night time and calmer in the day time. We went to the Ocean at about 10PM, and the beach was like a surf beach, but in the day time, it was very calm.
The Resort was called the UDS resort, and was as good as you would need, anywhere, as well as being economically priced. Some of the souvenirs in the resort souvenir shop were better priced than the prices offered by the beach front marketeers.

Accommodation and meals were very good, and the resort facilities were exceptional, with three pools, spas, massage and wellness centres, gift shops, three restaurants and a coffee shop, and even a dental clinic. What more could you ask for at about $150 a night.

In the morning, sadly, we packed all of our things, and went to Trivanthinum airport to leave India.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

UDS Beach PoolUDS Beach Pool
UDS Beach Pool

The Arabian sea is just past the fence


Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.06s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb