Kickin' It Around Kochi


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Kerala » Kochi
November 18th 2016
Published: November 19th 2016
Edit Blog Post

We left the serenity and tranquility of the pineapple fields at Soans Farm to wander the quaint streets of Kochi.

To get to Kochi, we had to drive a little more than an hour to Mangalore to catch the train. We rode the train for 8 hours traveling south down the western coast of India.

It is probably more accurate to say we "survived" the 8 hour train ride. It is not for the faint of heart or for anyone seeking modern comforts like space, restrooms, food or water!

Once we arrived at our hotel in Fort Kochin, The Old Harbour Hotel, we realized the journey was worth the hassle. The Fort Kochin area is on an island thick with pedestrian friendly streets and open harbor views. We found great shopping and fantastic eating.

Our hotel is a historic building that has been renovated into a gorgeous boutique hotel. We had two huge suites with large enclosed porches overlooking the harbour. Every corner of the hotel was tastefully and artfully decorated. Our suites were very different and both decorated with antiques.

When we checked into our rooms, a man came to the door and asked if he could sprinkle jasmin petals in our rooms. Yes please. What a wonderful smell and what a great idea. I wonder if there is a service back home that does that??!!

It was kind of hard to leave the hotel, but luckily the rest of the island was user-friendly and interesting.

We glanced over the main attractions of the historic fort, the significant churches and synagogues and memorials, but for the most part we just hung around.

We visited Jew Town and meandered through the many antique shops.

We watched the boats come in and leave the harbor.

We watched the tedious routines of the fisherman trying to make a living by catching and selling fish.

We kept the seats warm in many of the cafes and coffee shops.

And we just kind of watched the world go by as we relaxed, ate delicious food and shopped.


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



19th November 2016

beautiful
I had no idea that India was such a beautiful country. AllI I've ever seen is the poverty. On the train ride where there people all over the train? How much did Kyle have to pay for the flower pedals for your room? Joe
20th November 2016

It seems like such a quiet little town compared to the bigger cities we are all familiar with when thinking of India. I want to join you!

Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.03s; cc: 12; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0642s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb