Cochi City


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Kerala » Kochi
November 18th 2099
Published: November 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Arriving in Cochi city from Kottayam, we exited the bus and took a rickshaw to the boat jetty. Leaving the mainland (Ernakulam) behind, we boarded the boat (for just 5 rupees each) and made our way to Fort Cochin - a beautiful and relaxed sea town. Departing the boat we took yet another rickshaw to Princess Road (the main backpacker district), where we were greeted by a young gentleman and taken to his beautiful homestay (Fort Residency), equipped with a living room and kitchen free for cooking. Whilst staying in this funky homestay, decorated with Banksy images and other inspiring images, a cafe area was also in progress and soon to open ... a must-go if you visit Fort Cochin! After settling in and getting our bearings the next 2-3 days were spent wandering the beautiful town, particularly along the sea front lined with giant chinese spider-like fishing nets which required at least 4 men to operate. In addition to visiting the local museum, we also strolled past the Dutch cemetery and St Francis church. Whilst wandering the streets on our last evening we were drawn towards the sound of fireworks and bells ringing, finding ourselves outside the Santa Cruz Basillica which looked ever more spectacular during the evening all lit up with lights and particularly given a nightly mass was in progress. Given the holiday season was nearing and trains could possibly be fully booked, we reserved tickets with an agency for a train to Mangalore the following day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0574s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb