Fort Cochin


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Kerala » Kochi
February 19th 2010
Published: February 28th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Colonial Mix




Back on shore, and we decide to head for a very old European trading port, once home to Dutch, Portuguese, Chinese and English, each country leaving its mark on the architecture, food and language.

The first thing to mention about Fort Kochin is the unbelievable heat.. simply just sitting seemed to leave us exhausted. People had a slow waddle like the walking dead.
We developed the dawn and dusk technique ( only exploring in the twilight hours and hiding in the cool when the midday sauna struck)

The entrance to the harbor at Fort Kochin is protected by the Chinese fishing nets, now reducing in numbers due to commercial fishing methods. A walk to Jew town revealed the spice markets (Mainly ginger and pepper) along with the synagogue and ancient paved narrow streets.

We discovered ancient Chinese fishing nets, many old christian churches, synagogue, palaces, and grand colonial jackaranda-lined avenues.... truly decadent! Unfortunately though, for all Fort Kochin's charms, the unrelenting heat was getting to us, and we decide to head for the hills.................


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.152s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 9; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0692s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb