One day stop in Cochin / Kochi, India


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Kerala » Kochi
May 11th 2019
Published: July 2nd 2019
Edit Blog Post

We had again done our homework for Kochi and worked out that it was a lot more spread out that Mumbai was.

We planned to get a Tuk Tuk to the fishing nets and then work our way back towards the port. Unfortunately, all the drivers only wanted to do a tour. We asked a couple about a one way trip and they just walked away from us. This was a big clue for a rethink.

Eventually, we went to the taxi tent that had been set up for the cruise passengers. They gave us details of a tour around Kochi. It was either 1000 rupees (£10) for three people in a tuk tuk or 2000 (£20) for four people in a taxi. So we agreed to a Tuk tuk tour.

Our driver was very knowledgeable. We agreed afterwards that we probably got to see a lot more of Kochi than if we had tried to do it ourselves. We spent a fun three and a half hours tearing through the streets and squeezing through gaps in traffic that did not look to be big enough for us. Quite an experience.

There was only one downside to the tour. The taxi and tuk tuk drivers have to take passengers on these tours to many different higher class shops. They get petrol vouchers for each group that stays more than ten minutes. These were not really our kind of shops. The first few he took us to we only spent a few minutes inside. Then our driver asked that we must spend at least 10 minutes, so the last two we got it right. 10 minutes is a long time to walk around a tiny shop when you have no intention of buying anything.

A very enjoyable day, but not sure Kochi would be on our list of places we would want to return to.


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



27th March 2020

Thank you for sharing your travel experience. Recently we stayed Bethlahem Homestay on the way to Munnar. Very good atmosphere and useful for others. https://bethlahemstay.com/best-homestay-in-munnar/

Tot: 0.281s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.108s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb