House boating at Alleppy


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Kerala » Alleppey
January 13th 2014
Published: January 13th 2014
Edit Blog Post

After travelling from Fort Kochi, ( Antony our driver pointed out a cashew nut tree on the way) we arrived at Alleppey to board our rather charming houseboat with a driver, Joseph, a chef and a crewman. They were friendly and provided delicious meals including cooking up some giant blue legged prawns we purchased from the fish merchants on the way. They were yum!!! We cruised among the many waterways and out into the the Vembanad Lake. The area is known as the Backwaters and stretches for 1900km. It was totally idyllic and very restful cruising through the waters with many other houseboats, but no one got in anyone's way. It was tranquil and quiet except for the occasional burst of noise from a boat load of Indian men dancing and singing. They were pretty happy. We cruised up channels fringed with local homes where people were doing their washing and swimming in the water. There were palm trees and lush greenery. Behind that we could see the rice paddies which bordered the channels. The waters irrigate many acres of paddies and we could see the workers in the fields. The house boat was roomy and comfortable though quite quirky. The power was interesting but there was air conditioning in the rooms which was great until you woke up freezing in the night. Come morning we figured out how to turn it off!! We had to stick to water as the wine and beer purchased on the way turned out to be undrinkable - we considered offering it as additional fuel for the boat. We had to tie up for the night by 5.30pm so that the local fisherman could go out and put out their nets. Watching the fishermen and their wives propelling their boats out into a crystal calm lake as evening set in was magical. The nets were set as light started to fade. The houseboats are quite gorgeous and we had a very relaxing time. Sunday arrived and we headed for Thekkady. We climbed up into a huge range of hills, slowly wending our way up and around the side of a mountainous hillside. In parts there were huge drops down into the valley. Pilgrims dressed in black, carrying fabric on their heads, made their way over the hill to a Hindu temple. We photographed tea plantations rubber plantations and roadside pineapple plants, and then visited a plantation growing medicinal herbs and spices which was quite fascinating. We were introduced to a range of plants and told their medicinal uses. They had a cure for everything; four drops of this potion regularly for a month and you will never have another migraine in your life!! There was a cure for diabetes, asthma and back and joint pain. The guide was delightful and had a lovely sense of humour, she then sold us some spices and concoctions. A wander through Thekkady and a wee bit of shopping. The boys, actually that would be Peter and Roy were on a mission to find drinkable beer. They found a local " government shop" where men lined up to buy bottles that they then secreted into the folds of their dotis or trouser pockets. Buying a dozen beer caused some interest for the locals in these mostly dry and religious areas. The boys valiantly called a passing tuktuk to get their precious cargo safely home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.187s; Tpl: 0.037s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0581s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb