Backwater and village bliss.


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Kerala » Alleppey
March 26th 2008
Published: March 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Something missing??....Something missing??....Something missing??....

..A Hammock perhaps?!!!
Kerala's backwaters - Beautiful!!

A fantastic escape from bland old Fort Cochin. Everywhere was so lush, green and "Tropically Jungular" (2 words that we think we've invented, but fit perfectly!)

3hr bus ride and the world of difference. This place is even more laid back, and virtually no tourists. The locals are friendly and we didnt get hasseled anywher near as much by touts and people trying to get money off us!

We were met at the bus station by a stupidly miniature fellow who was promoting his guest house - he gave us a good price, so we thought we'd give him a go (we were a bit aprehensive from our guy in Mysore mind!) it was worth it though....he took us to a lovely old fashioned Keralan building with beautiful rooms and right by the canal...bargain. From here we took a look around and took his offer for him to sort a houseboat to cruise the backwaters the following day (his brother took us to see it on his motorbike - hairraising but fun!)

The Houseboat.
An amazing experience. 22hrs on our own private boat with a captain, a driver and our own chef!!! (this was probably the most expensive thing we'll do in India, well worth it and actually only about 45GBP!!!!)

We set off at 11am and cruised the backwaters and lakes for the day, stopping at lunch time for the best food we've had since we've been here, and then mooring at the side of a lake for the evening meal and to sleep. Coconut palms, banana trees, rice fields, water-lillies, golden eagels, water snakes, fish and small villages filled the day and Dan's adamant that he saw a tiger roaming past (hmmm!). And the night??.....Well the night was alive! The stars were almost blinding and we were joined by fire-flies as we lay on the top deck gazing into the universe.....which is where we spent the night.

In the morning we headed back to land, and got talking with the owner, who kindly arranged for us to stay with a family in a small backwater village for 2 nights.

Homestay.
Wow, what an experience, and what a wonderful family. They hardly spoke a word of English but couldn't do enough to help and make our stay a truly memorable experience.

There were 2 small girls (11 and 9) who tried to teach me their language of Malalayan....getting there, but cant seem to move my mouth fast enough without getting tongue-tied!! and the mother cooked the most amazing food, all of which the father tried to get us to eat, but failed miserably as we were way to stuffed on half of it!

We had eggs from their chickens (and chicken one evening!) mangoes, bananas and coconuts from the trees in their garden, fish from the river...you get the idea, pretty much self sufficient....which is a good job as it was an hours boat ride to the main town.

We were fortunate enought to be invited to a Kathakali show in the neighbours house, which was really interesting - a programme of traditional Keralan dancing, costume and theater, accompanied by the most tremendous thunder storm, the lightning was blinding!!

We were really sad to leave - but we had to and now we're in Thrivandrum....another bland town, so nothing to report from here.

Tomorrow we're heading for "India's Lands End" Kanyakumari, in Tamil Nadu....and we'll see sun-rise and sun-set over 2 different oceans!!

Until then,
Lots of love.
xxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Message for Mel and Jake....Message for Mel and Jake....
Message for Mel and Jake....

Dan had 2 portions - 24 fish-fingers, beat that!!


2nd April 2008

Fish Finger Madness!
Uncle Dan thats nothing im having 25 fish fingers tonight! Beat that! Bet they werent Birds Eye ha ha.
4th April 2008

Sounds like heaven
Hi you two, looks like you're having a fantastic time, excellent! Only the three of you on the motorbike! Wait till you get to Thailand! You ain't seen nothing yet!

Tot: 0.284s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 27; qc: 107; dbt: 0.2339s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb