Indian marvels


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Karnataka
March 9th 2009
Published: March 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Waiting for the tableWaiting for the tableWaiting for the table

for women's day meal. NB, the smiles are not authentic.
Hello folks
I’ve been away for a while from the writing business, busy between lying on the bed, relaxing and taking treatments for a series of problems I’ve been having with my back. I’ve had to endure eight days inside the house, no going to the hospital, not even out to the terrace to see the sun. Sounds a bit drastic but with this heat, it has been a kind of a blessing. Anyway, I’ve been given massages twice a day, kept in a steam box (as a sauna lover, this has been a treat), and given half a litre of clarified butter. I’m not going to reveal you the details but I can tell that it has not been given orally. At the end of it, I’m quite well now, the pain is subsiding and I’ve already been stretching my limbs and taken a few steps outside the building.
One Sunday we went shopping for clothes for Priya who had recently joined us from London. (She’s left Hubli already). On our shopping trip a strange man started following us. He kept very close and sometimes would walk in front of us and sometimes behind us, always very close. He kept mumbling stuff and kept us quite preoccupied with his psychotic behaviour. At some point I just couldn’t deal with him anymore and marched with the girls to a deli we knew and at the counter, very determined told the cashier that someone is following us and if he would be so kind to get rid of him. The cashier looked at me for a second and gave his answer: “Sorry, how many samosas?” Sometimes it is just too difficult to get your message through. We decided samosas were not needed and hopped into an autoriksha and stopped our shopping trip there.
Yesteray, we went for a Woman’s day lunch with Michi and Linda. We chose to go to the Hare Krishna temple as the restaurant looked nice. It was closed and told to open in April. Oh, Bum. Fortunately we found another place, recently opened, near by. Very hungry, we ordered curries of different kinds and mouths watered waited for the order to come. Curries in India are far better than home, obviously, so intense in flavour and fine in texture, but I know you all know this. And finally the order came and we digged in... only to find out that the spices had been left out, without asking us. Because we’re foreigners. Thank god they did not leave mango out of the mango ice cream we had for dessert so we left the place with the good taste in our mouths.
India really is a curious place. There is a place I see every day on our way to the hospital. They sell concrete statues (of little girls holding a balloon, horses and cows in different noble positions etc) and tractors. In an exhibition (a temporary market in other words) I found a stall that sells two items only: ladies undies and cockroach repellent. What’s the connection? How do they sell their ideas to a bank manager when starting up the business? The other day, the police were taking a man from the local police station to the prison, in handcuffs, by bus! When Michi was buying herself a new mobile to use here in India, the salesperson was selling her a model with FM radio capacity. Brilliant! Shame that there is only AM radio in Hubli.
There is not one day that is similar to the other (except is you are inside for eight days). I guess that’s the attraction of India. It always offers you something to think and wonder. Especially when you come to a place called Hubli, which not even many Indians recognise, and you find a squint specialist in a local eye hospital who operated Michi’s lazy eye this morning. She’s had it for 34 years and bravely went through a 10 min operation and her eye will be straight for good. Isn’t that wonderful!!
All the best from the wonderland.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

The scary squadThe scary squad
The scary squad

was assisting the operation. I almost fainted.


9th March 2009

Heissu!
Kiva kuulla teistä taas! Tehän tuutte sieltä täysin uudistuneina, kun teiltäkin kaikki vaivat hoidetaan. Mä luulin, et te meette sinne hoivaamaan muita, mutta hyvä tietty näinkin päin... Terkut ja pitäkää kivaa!!!
11th March 2009

woo hoo
Hey babes How did Michaela's treatment go? Hope it was a huge success!! Thanks for sharing the info about the butter treatment. It sounds eye watering. Last day's shoot on Friday, then the party. Can't wait to get finished. xxx
13th March 2009

Every day an adventure!
Butter??? but..what the hell was that? last tango in Paris or a medical treatiment?:) Im glad to see that things are going well Anu! Take care, you girls! ciao!

Tot: 0.271s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0481s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb